× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Powerline 1200 Adapter Problem

Sci0n
Aspirant

Powerline 1200 Adapter Problem

Hello,

I recently purchased the Powerline 1200 adapters for my home to not have a 20 meter cable going trhough my house. network coverage . I have one adapater downstairs attached directly to a router, while the other one is located upstairs. I see the following problems with each of the adapters:

1. The Powerline LED (bottomost indicator) continiously switches from green to red.
  2. Even less frequently, the adapter stops working entirely and the Powerline LED goes solid red. The only way I can resolve this is by unplugging the unit and plugging it back in (which works immediately).

The above problems occur regardless of which adapter I'm using or which power outlet I plug them into. Both adapters are plugged directly into walls (no power strips or the like). I am using the security feature on them.

Does this likely mean that my power lines are simply too noisy for this product to work adequately? Are there any other simple troubleshooting steps I might try before abandoning them?

Note: They were working fine for like 50 mins, then I went out came back and they just now do as above?

Model: PL1200|Powerline 1200 Adapter
Message 1 of 4

Re: Powerline 1200 Adapter Problem

@Sci0n wrote:

I recently purchased the Powerline 1200 adapters for my home to not have a 20 meter cable going trhough my house.

Are you saying that this 20 metre cable is separate from your mains circuits?

Netgear advises against using extensions cables and multi-socket junction blocks. My experience is that this advice is over the top.

Short extension cables and multi-socket junction blocks are fine.

Plugs will also operate over 20 metres in a mains circuit, I have one running that far to a separate building and that line navigates a separate fuse box.

But a long standalone extension may be pushing it. The quality of the cable may not be up to that on the mains circuit.

As the manual explains, the fact that the powerline LED changes colour suggests that there is a connection issue. Solid red does not mean that it isn't working, but that your have "Link rate < 50 Mbps (good)."

Message 2 of 4
Sci0n
Aspirant

I have a 20 meter ethernet  cable go through my house.

Now i  wanted to have that gone and only use the 2 powerlines.

Yet I use them and have about 3 meter ethernet cables for them/

is from the router to a powerline adaptor

powerline adaptor is up stairs in room with a plug with a 3 meter ethernet cable fro it to a hub, then for that hub I have mutlple items ;i.e pas4,xboxone,pc.

et even if i plug the 3 meter ethernet cable in just say the PC it is still going red, giving speeds of 1.50mbps??

Message 3 of 4

@Sci0n wrote:

I have a 20 meter ethernet  cable go through my house.

In that case, I'm sorry. I cannot understand the problem.

What sits where?

The layout confuses me.

I will leave it to wiser people than me to unravel what is going on.

Good luck.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7