× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Powerline 1200 Pick a Plug Light Color Fluctuation

EricLevy
Follower

Powerline 1200 Pick a Plug Light Color Fluctuation

Evening all:

I purchased my Powerline 1200 Adapter about six weeks ago and the connectivity was fine - I was getting 75 Mbps, which is what I pay for with my Internet provider. Then, about two days ago, I notice that the speed has dropped markedly. When I look at the adapter, I notice that the "Pick a Plug" light seems to go between red and green - it will be red for a few seconds, then change back to green for a bit, etc. There does not seem to any patter to when it changes.

Any idea what could be causing this? The adapter is plugged directly into a wall outlet, not a power strip (although a power strip is plugged into the socket on the adapter, if that makes any difference. According to the manual, the only other possible causes for a red "Pick a Plug" light are distance between the two adapters (they're nowhere close to 200 meters apart, so that cannot be it) and being near surge suppressors or items with motors. I have no idea what that means. How close do the offending devices need to be to interfere with the signal? Our refridgerator (which I assume has a motor in it) is about four feet away from one of the adapters and our TV is right next to the other. Could these be causing some sort of interference?

Any insights or suggestions as to how to fix the problem would be most appreciated. Cheers!

Model: PL1200|Powerline 1200 Adapter
Message 1 of 4

Re: Powerline 1200 Pick a Plug Light Color Fluctuation

You could try putting the plugs close together and seeing what happens. If the speed goes back up, then there isn't a problem with the plugs. It is more likely to be something local.

Message 2 of 4
A_dAb
Aspirant

Similar to at least one other poster this year, an installation that has been running satisfactorily for about a year has broken down, to the extent that speed at the end of the link is <1/10 of that at the start of the link, and the pick-a-plug indicators on either end are flip-flopping erratically between red and green, with no obvious pattern.

Re-siting the connectors is not an option, and besides, the set-up was fine before.

I did attempt a factory reset with the units temporarily side by side, but did not get the expected temporary flashing as they re-established their network, so wonderignif it worked at all.

is it possible/necessary to get firmware updates for these units?

Model: PLP1200|Powerline 1200 Adapter
Message 3 of 4

Any new firmware would appear here:

>>> PLP1200 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements