× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Powerline 1200 audio noise

bitslayer42
Aspirant

Powerline 1200 audio noise

When the Powerline 1200 is plugged in noisy static comes out of my computer speakers. Unplugging the 1200 makes it go away. Opening a webpage increases the noise. The speakers are plugged into the same house circuit.

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions

After your detailed experiments, I think we can safely say that the Powerplugs are the source of noise on the mains circuit that is messing up the audio signal on the speakers.

I haven't seen other reports of this here. Nor has anyone from Netgear stepped into this discussion.

I suggested that you could try an extension block that claims to offer "noise" suppression. But the trouble there is that these plugs are usually designed for a particular type of electrical noise. I have no idea if it would also clean up the noise that the Powerplug generates.

I am surprised that these plugs create noise, so there is another thing worth considering. Any mains circuit requires effective earthing. Somewhere around you should have a pretty hefty bit of cable connected to a large chunk of metal that goes into the ground. Here in the UK there are strict regulations and specifications for earthing. A few years ago, our electrician insisted that he would not work on the house until he had brought the earth circuit up to scratch. Maybe there are ways in which you can check your earth circuits.

Even when a house is effectively earthed, local earth loops can add their own noise, but that usually shows up as a steady 50/60Hz hum. Eliminating that is down to earthing individual components.

You might also want to file an official support case. You have now done enough experiments to provide detailed evidence.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies

@bitslayer42 wrote:

The speakers are plugged into the same house circuit.

I assume that this means that the speakers are on the mains circuit getting juice rather than some fancy LAN connection.

Maybe a noise reducing extension for the speakers' power would help.

As this is a Powerline network, which plug causes the noise? Source? (The one on the modem end.) Receiver?

Message 2 of 10
bitslayer42
Aspirant

This is on the receiver end. The powered speakers are connected to the same computer that is receiving internet.

What is a noise reducing extension? That sounds like what I need.

Message 3 of 10

You can probably forget the noise plug. If the speakers are connected to the PC, that could be the source of the noise. You could test by using some battery operated speakers, or headphones instead of the powered speakers. If they don't sound noisy, then it could be mains interference.

The noise filtering plug, or mains filter strip, eliminates, or reduces, noise on the mains circuit. It is the sort of thing that hifi nuts use to eliminate mains noise that might upset their amplifiers. That noise is not usually at the frequencies where the LAN Powerline does its thing.

You can learn a bit more by searching for "Dirty Electricity".

This might help:

Mains Filter - EMFields

But as I said that may not be your problem.

Message 4 of 10
bitslayer42
Aspirant

Thanks.

I don't get any noise from headphones, so I assume it is coming from the mains power.

Message 5 of 10

It is beginning to seem like the reason.

If you plug the same speakers into something else – away from the PC – and you hear the same noise, then that would be even more evidence.

Message 6 of 10

Clarification, leave the mains plug where it is. The something else should be a source of sound. A portable radio, mobile phone, or anything with the right output.

Message 7 of 10
bitslayer42
Aspirant

So when I use my phone as a source for powered speakers I get the same noises. Likewise, unpowered speakers attached to the computer do not make noise. The biggest clue is that the noises happen when there is activity across the network. Loading up a new page makes it go crazy with static.

So I am looking for the least expensive way to clean up my dirty power. Any specific suggestions?

Message 8 of 10

After your detailed experiments, I think we can safely say that the Powerplugs are the source of noise on the mains circuit that is messing up the audio signal on the speakers.

I haven't seen other reports of this here. Nor has anyone from Netgear stepped into this discussion.

I suggested that you could try an extension block that claims to offer "noise" suppression. But the trouble there is that these plugs are usually designed for a particular type of electrical noise. I have no idea if it would also clean up the noise that the Powerplug generates.

I am surprised that these plugs create noise, so there is another thing worth considering. Any mains circuit requires effective earthing. Somewhere around you should have a pretty hefty bit of cable connected to a large chunk of metal that goes into the ground. Here in the UK there are strict regulations and specifications for earthing. A few years ago, our electrician insisted that he would not work on the house until he had brought the earth circuit up to scratch. Maybe there are ways in which you can check your earth circuits.

Even when a house is effectively earthed, local earth loops can add their own noise, but that usually shows up as a steady 50/60Hz hum. Eliminating that is down to earthing individual components.

You might also want to file an official support case. You have now done enough experiments to provide detailed evidence.

Message 9 of 10
bitslayer42
Aspirant

Thank you for your help.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements