× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Powerline 1200 ethernet to router?

MatthewDeMella
Follower

Powerline 1200 ethernet to router?

Hi Does anyone know if I can connect a powerline 1200 adapter to a new router to extend my wifi single?

I bought the Powerline 1200 to extend wifi- but realized it is only ethernet out- not wifi out.  And  my Macbooks don't have ethernet inputs.  So rather than going out to buy the 'correct' netgear product, probably the Netgear powerline 1000 wifi extender, I thought I might try to connect the Powerline 1200 adapter to a cheap router and get my wifi signal that way.  

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Matt 

Model: PLP1200|Powerline 1200 Adapter
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions

Re: Powerline 1200 ethernet to router?

@MatthewDeMella wrote:
So rather than going out to buy the 'correct' netgear product, probably the Netgear powerline 1000 wifi extender, I thought I might try to connect the Powerline 1200 adapter to a cheap router and get my wifi signal that way. 

First, if it isn't too late, why not swap your plugs for the bundle that does include a wifi access point?

Second, you can do what you suggest so long as the router you buy can work as a wifi access point. Most can, but you will have to configure the second router so that it doesn't fight with the main router to be the resident DHCP handing out IP addresses.

The idea is that you plug the second router into the LAN output from the powerline plug

Depending on what other features you want, you might want to look into something here:

WiFi Range Extenders: Boost Your WiFi Range | NETGEAR

You don't need a repeater – a box that listens to a remote wifi devices and passes it on to your local wifi clients – although some of these will work as repeaters or access points. with a wired link to the router.

Most routers can work as access points, but only some can be repeaters.

If you have an old router lying around, you could experiment with that. But remember that older equipment may not have the wifi performance that can make the most of your wifi clients.

On the positive side, if you get a decent range extender it may well deliver better performance than the powerline device you thought you had bought.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies

Re: Powerline 1200 ethernet to router?

@MatthewDeMella wrote:
So rather than going out to buy the 'correct' netgear product, probably the Netgear powerline 1000 wifi extender, I thought I might try to connect the Powerline 1200 adapter to a cheap router and get my wifi signal that way. 

First, if it isn't too late, why not swap your plugs for the bundle that does include a wifi access point?

Second, you can do what you suggest so long as the router you buy can work as a wifi access point. Most can, but you will have to configure the second router so that it doesn't fight with the main router to be the resident DHCP handing out IP addresses.

The idea is that you plug the second router into the LAN output from the powerline plug

Depending on what other features you want, you might want to look into something here:

WiFi Range Extenders: Boost Your WiFi Range | NETGEAR

You don't need a repeater – a box that listens to a remote wifi devices and passes it on to your local wifi clients – although some of these will work as repeaters or access points. with a wired link to the router.

Most routers can work as access points, but only some can be repeaters.

If you have an old router lying around, you could experiment with that. But remember that older equipment may not have the wifi performance that can make the most of your wifi clients.

On the positive side, if you get a decent range extender it may well deliver better performance than the powerline device you thought you had bought.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7