× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Powerline 1200 slowness

AntoineM91
Aspirant

Powerline 1200 slowness

Happy new year to everyone.

I recently bought a 1200 power line for netgear, but I don't get the result expected.

Before buying this I was using a LEA Netsock 200Mbit, which provided me 51Mbit (for a 200Mbit + connexion with optical fiber).

Now... I only get between 55Mbit to 60Mbit.... which is ridiculously low.... In upload strangly, I get around 70 to 75Mbit...

The lightis green which is supposed to mean that I'm supposed to receive the maximum. correct ? 

I also checked my network adapter on my desktop computer, but it's configured in 1 Gbit ... So I really don't get it... and I'm pretty disapointed as I can't even ask for help... because despite my product is registered.... The serial is not recognized when I try to contact the support....

Can somebody help ?

Thank you,

Message 1 of 10
clithes
Prodigy

Re: Powerline 1200 slowness

What other powerline adapters do you have on your network?  If these are slower than the 1200's they can slow down overall performance.

Message 2 of 10
AntoineM91
Aspirant

Hi, thank you for your answer.

Well this is a home network, so mine are the only ones. TV device is directly connected, and others devices are using wifi. 😕 

Message 3 of 10
Carthagis
Aspirant

Hello!

I have a Netgear PLP1200 as well, and the internet I get from it is awefully unstable.

When connectiong directly to the livebox (via ethernet) I get 12ms and 100MB/s and it remains stable.

When connecting with the PLP1200, it goes from 200ms to 700ms constantly and the download speed varies from 0.5MB/s to 15MB/s

I have tested it in every way I could think of: accross the house, on the same plug, on nearby plugs, with a different computer, inverting the two adapters etc. None of it worked.

The same happened with a PLP500.

However, it works just fine with an old NetGear model (200 series) which I've been using for a long time on another computer (yes, I tested it the same way).

I have ran out of ideas and could really do with some help 😕

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Message 4 of 10
Dave59
Aspirant

I'm having a similar problem (1/8/16) just bought my first pair of PL1200, but haven't yet begun to troubleshoot.  The product idea is remarkable, and appears to give me a wired connection to the upstairs other end of the house that I could not reach via cables before.  

Here is my setup: New CAT6 cable between my TWC modem and my Netgear wireless router.  New CAT6 cable (14') from my router to the first PL1200.  Upstairs and other end of the house, I plugged in my second PL1200 and received connectivity, but the Pick-a-Plug LED fluctuates between green and amber (mostly amber) on both PL1200s.  

Then installed new CAT6 from the second PL1200 to a Netgear GS205 5-port gigabit switch.  I have a home computer and a work laptop connected to the 5-port switch.  

All seems well, but my first day working at home, I temporarily (5-6 minutes each of about 5 times during the day) lost internet connection to my two computers on my second PL1200 on the switch.  This is not acceptible to lose connection while I'm doing my own work linking to my company's network all day.  

I've tried 2 different outlets nearby my work area, but am limited to how many outlets are actually nearby with other devices plugged in.  In each outlet I've tried, nothing else is plugged into the outlet.

I don't mind lower than optimal gigabit speed, but dropping the internet is not acceptible to me.  

Any ideas?  Do I need to supply any additional data?

Message 5 of 10
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

I would suggest contacting support team for this issue if your device is still within support warranty.

Message 6 of 10
Steveb48
Aspirant

Hi all,

Same problem here. I have 3 Pl1200s installed (I have 4). One is connected to my Time Capsule (Apple access point, router and backup drive). Via WiFI on my laptop, I get 120Mbs out to the internet. If I plug my laptop into a Pl1200 and disable WiFi, I'm getting 60Mbs. I have 3 green LEDs.  If I plug the Pl1200 into an outlet in the same room as the other one, I get 150Mbs. It's not very useful if it has to be in the same room. Their FAQ says it will bridge circuits although they don't say if the bandwidth is affected. 

For the folks that are having success, are all devices on the same circuit? The same phase?  

I've talked to support but once I said it works well in the same room I was told it was a problem within my home. I have no other powerline devices in the house. I do have Philips Hue lights but I belive they are zigbee which is wireless.

Any ideas how to solve this? 

thanks,

Steve

Message 7 of 10
JamesGL
Master

Hi Steveb48,

Please check this explanation from a KB article from support site.

Why are the actual data rates less from the stated data rates?

Every appliance on your electrical line generates noise, or interference, for Powerline transmission. While distance as some effect on line noise, the number of appliances and age of electrical wiring will have greater impact. The longer the distance and the greater the line noise, the less square footage you will be able to cover with the Powerline.

Environmental factors, Operational overhead, differences between different transport standards (UDP vs. TCP vs. WFT) and the way each standard optimizes the data overhead (typically for error handling).

Pick a plug is a technology that allows you to determine how fast your Powerline connection is - simply by looking at a multi-color LED on the front of the device. Green is the fastest possible connection. Yellow indicates a less than optimal connection. Red indicates that you might experience poor performance and should consider moving one of the devices to a different outlet.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20233/~/product-faq%3A-powerline-adapters

Message 8 of 10
Steveb48
Aspirant

James,

Thanks for the reply but it didn't answer my question. I have 3 green LED on all devices.

Are they expected to work across phases? My house is fed with 240v as 2 120v legs and a neutral.

Are they expected to work across circuits (circuit breakers)?

There are no motors, flourecent lamps, arc welders... in this enviornment. Sure everything creates electrical noise but if the answer to my question are no, I can't use the product and there's no point me trying to find out if my computer (or something) has a noisy power supply.

Steve

Message 9 of 10
JamesGL
Master

Hi Steveb48,

It is recommended for the powerline to be in the same circuit breakers. Try to connect it on the same room where the router is located and check if it will work.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7