× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Powerline 1200 will not connect to TV

Russellhess
Aspirant

Powerline 1200 will not connect to TV

I am trying to get my Powerline 1200S adapters to work with my TV. I have all green lights on both units. I have the TV connected with one of the included cables, however, the one attached to the modem/router is using a brand new Belkin Cat5E networking cable because the enclosed one is too short to reach from the outlet to the router. When trying to set up the television with a wired internet connection, the TV says no ethernet connection detected. Laptop plugged into Powerline also cannot connect. I have an Apple Airport connected to modem/router that does connect through ethernet cable and several other devices that do connect.

Is it a router issue not letting the powerline connect? A security issue? I have never tried to turn the security on the powerlines.

Of course, I bought the Powerlines in August 2019 and never set them up because they faikled to connect right away. Now, no free support. That stinks. But you guys are all great!

Model: PLP1200|Powerline 1200 Adapter
Message 1 of 4

Re: Powerline 1200 will not connect to TV

@Russellhess wrote:

I am trying to get my Powerline 1200S adapters to work with my TV. I have all green lights on both units.

Assuming that you have got the Powerline plugs connected as they should be – one to the router and the other to the TV – the place to start is with the setup on the TV.

Connecting a TV to the network is usually best done through the TV's controls and set up routine. The router rarely does much more than spit out the wifi signal. It is then down to the TV to do its thing.

Remember, Powerline is effectively just a bit of wire that runs from the TV to the router. It doesn't do anything much more than that.

@Russellhess wrote:

Laptop plugged into Powerline also cannot connect.

What does "cannot connect" mean. What happens when you try?

Does the laptop connect if you just plug it into the modem/router?

A good test of the plugs is to put then close to one another, and near the router. Then, when you have confirmed that they work, you can move the second plug to wherever you like.

@Russellhess wrote:

I have an Apple Airport connected to modem/router that does connect through ethernet cable and several other devices that do connect.

Does that mean that some of those "other devices" can connect over the Powerline?

If so, that suggests that the plugs are working as expected and you need to look at the things that don't connect for solutions. Like I said Powerline is just an Ethernet link that uses your mains circuit.

Message 2 of 4
Russellhess
Aspirant

This problem was resolved. Turns out my ISP, for some reason, only turns on 1 ethernet port on the back of the router/modem when installing the equipment. I have my airport plugged into the one that worked. They turned on the other ports and the Powerline setup was simple. Still not sure why ISP would do that, but it now works. Thanks to the community for answering my question. But I still feel like Netgear should have some free official support.

Message 3 of 4

@Russellhess wrote:

Turns out my ISP, for some reason, only turns on 1 ethernet port on the back of the router/modem when installing the equipment. I have my airport plugged into the one that worked. They turned on the other ports and the Powerline setup was simple.

Strange. At least it had absolutely nothing to do with your Netgear plugs. And it is highly unlikely that anyone other than your ISP could have worked that out.

@Russellhess wrote:

But I still feel like Netgear should have some free official support.

That's what you are reading now.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7