× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Powerline 2000 adapters speed issue

ddxfinity
Aspirant

Powerline 2000 adapters speed issue

So I’ve had these for over a year and they have worked perfect until I switched internet providers. I had the gig service with atat and got the full gig speeds no problem and when I switched to the Comcast gig service I’m only getting 100Mbs no packet loss or high latency just lost speed and I’m literally using of all the same cables, power outlets it’s just a different modem. I’ve tested the speeds going in at 1.2gigs but can only get 100-130Mbs out. I’ve tried the factory reset but didn’t work if anyone has something else to try please let me know thank you.
Model: PLP2000|Powerline 2000 + Extra Outlet
Message 1 of 4
ageinghack
Tutor

@ddxfinity wrote:
I’ve tested the speeds going in at 1.2gigs but can only get 100-130Mbs out. I’ve tried the factory reset but didn’t work if anyone has something else to try please let me know thank you.

Is it only Powerline speeds that show this behaviour?

Message 2 of 4
ddxfinity
Aspirant

Everything else in the house is wireless the powerline adapter only feeds my office phone and work computer. I did a speed test off the Ethernet wire going into the adapter and it showed 1.2 gigs going in and when I go and test the output in the other room it’s 100Mbs. I’ve done the factory reset thinking it had some atat data cached or something and I’ve also redone the encryption process but got the same results.
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

I haven't found a set of powerline adapters that will max out a gigabit connection yet. Even if they're right next to each other. 

Their "rated speeds" are even more overblown than wifi speeds. 

Powerline drops off quickly with distance and seperating out circuits. And they're sensitive to interference. 

hitting 100mbps+ if the powerline devices are on seperate circuits is pretty darned good. 

I'd take a look at a few reviews on powerline devices for realistic expectations on what powerline does and is capable off. 

Smallnetbuilder used to do great powerline reviews but hasn't done any since the 1200mbps series of the devices. I'd still recommend reading through those as they're well written and there wasn't much improvments from the 1200 series to the 2000 series. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/rankers/powerline/view

You can even google for a few tested reviews on the 2000 series both from netgear and other suppliers as they follow the same powerline spec and have performance that is very similar. 

I'd be doubting what you were actually looking up/testing prior. Maybe you were looking at the ethernet link speed and not actual throughput speeds. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7