× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Powerline 400 XWNB5201 - Enabling password to connect

garnett22
Aspirant

Powerline 400 XWNB5201 - Enabling password to connect

Hi,

My girlfriends parents have bought this product, however you are able to connect to the WiFi without having to put a network security key in.  I've read through the instructions and tried to set it up - however it doesn't seem to work.  When following the instructions in the manual and downloading the Netgear configuratior - i keep receiving a wireless settings failed message.

Could someone help me enable security for this device so people can't just connect and use their internet

Model: XWN5021|Powerline 500 + Wifi
Message 1 of 4

Re: Powerline 400 XWNB5201 - Enabling password to connect

Is this the first time they connect, or always?

Wifi devices will usually remember login details for things they connect to. Anyone who turns up with a different wifi device will have to enter the password for the SSID they see.

What is the "Netgear configurator"? Do you mean the Netgear Genie mentioned in the Installation Guide?

At what stage, and in what window – genie or browser? – do you see the "wireless settings failed" message?

And just to home in on the correct terminology when you say "network security key" do you mean SSID and password?

Message 2 of 4
garnett22
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for replying!

It's when they always connect.  So i thought that it would remember details so on my phone i chose to forget the main WiFi AP, and then tried to connect through the Netgear_EXT access point and it let me straight on.

What I'd like to do is secure the Netgear _EXT access point so no one else is able to access this without the wireless key.

The configurator i was referring to is the Powerline utility, and i receive the message when i boot up the utility, and go to Wireless settings on the XWN5001 and tried to input her SSID and network key.  I also tried the WPS key on the actual signal booster.

Message 3 of 4

Getting into the settings for the powerline device is not the same as getting into the wifi. Different passwords and stuff.

Have you tried the Netgear Genie? See page 10 of the Installation Guide.

Page 13 also tells you the default login and password details.

The guide is here:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/XWNB5201/XWNB5201_IG_30Oct2012.pdf

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7