× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Powerline 500 XWN5001

jaj38
Follower

Powerline 500 XWN5001

My network extender has been working for a couple of years no problem. It now frequently loses connection to the access point. If I switch it off and on it will reconnect but will drop out again after an hour or so.
Can anyone help me how to diagnose this fault further?
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
clithes
Prodigy

Find the IP address of your adapter by looking at 'Attached Devices' in your router settings.  Alternatively connect to the wifi channel from the adapter and then go to www.mywifiext.net in a browser.  Or use Netgear Genie Network Map, click on Powerline Adapters, and then right-click this adapter and select 'Configuration'.

Now you will access the adapter's GUI (default username and password are 'admin' and 'password')

Go to 'Advanced' then 'PLC Settings' and turn off power saving mode.  I find this to be temperamental on most Netgear powerline adapters, including their newer models:

Capture_xwn5001_powersaving.JPG

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 14

All Replies
OMATIC73
Aspirant

I am having the same issue.  I would appreciate the help.

Message 2 of 14

@jaj38 wrote:
It now frequently loses connection to the access point.

Is this a wireless connection?

Hard to know what is going on here. What are you connecting to what?

Message 3 of 14
OMATIC73
Aspirant

I am having issues wirelessly and direct connect.  I have been trying to log into genie with the default password and the little icon just spins forever.

Message 4 of 14
OMATIC73
Aspirant

Below are two screenshots of the issue I am having.  I am clearly connected.  This happens through wifi and ethernet.  Any help would be appreciated.

router connected.jpgrouter connected.jpg

Message 5 of 14

It is hard to read those screen grabs.

If you use Alt+Print Screen it will capture only the top Window.

You seem to be locked out of the Router Settings. Is that because it rejects the password?

Remember, the router password is not the same as the wifi password.

As to losing wifi connections, one recent visitor found that he had better success by tweaking the wifi settings, changing the band and other settings.

Re: Netgear D6400-100UKS - 2.4GHz Network Issue - NETGEAR Communities

He also saw interference from nearby wifi networks.

The symptoms he saw were identical to those described here, the wifi worked fine for a bit and then fell over.

Message 6 of 14
OMATIC73
Aspirant

Thanks for the tip on the screen grabs.  They are below.  I have made no changes to the password and have been entering the default.

I attempted to factory reset the units, but that doesn't seem to be working.  Do I need to have them plugged in to reset them?  Any particular order?

What can cause the drop in connection via ethernet? 

I appreciate your assistance.  Thanks!

router connected.jpgrouter log in.jpg

Message 7 of 14

What is the "Send" plug in the powerline network attached to?

The Netgear genie isn't likely to be much use with hardware from other makers.

Message 8 of 14
OMATIC73
Aspirant

I'm not sure what you mean.  It's connected to an AT&T gateway via ethernet and connected directly to the wall.  I've removed the ethernet connection from the receiver and only connected to wifi now.

Message 9 of 14

@OMATIC73 wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean.

I mean what is the "host" for the powerplugs?

I assume that you feed the LAN from the AT&T gateway, whatever that is, into the powerline's source plug.

You seem to be trying to use the Netgear genie to connect to the AT&T gateway through the wifi. You won't get into "router settings" if it isn't a Netgear router.

If you look at the top of your second screen grab, you'll see that it says

Please check to see if the computer is connected to the NETGEAR router

You won't get very far trying to connect to an AT&T device with the Netgear genie.

Message 10 of 14
OMATIC73
Aspirant

Ahh.  I was thinking there were some settings on the sender/receiver, but I guess that is not the case.  Thank you for clearing that up.

As for the factory reset, do they need to be plugged in in order to reset them?  Any particular order?

Message 11 of 14

@OMATIC73 wrote:

As for the factory reset, do they need to be plugged in in order to reset them?  Any particular order?

I doubt if much can happen when the thing is switched off. The instructions for what to do are in the manual:

XWN5001 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

Page 7 is a good place to start.

Message 12 of 14
JamesGL
Master

Hi OMATIC73,

Please check the manual from pages 23 to 33. You cannot access the wireless settings via WiFi on the Genie since it only supports the wireless settings of NETGEAR routers. There is another option for powerline network.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/XWN5001/XWN5001_UM_17OCT2012.pdf

Message 13 of 14
clithes
Prodigy

Find the IP address of your adapter by looking at 'Attached Devices' in your router settings.  Alternatively connect to the wifi channel from the adapter and then go to www.mywifiext.net in a browser.  Or use Netgear Genie Network Map, click on Powerline Adapters, and then right-click this adapter and select 'Configuration'.

Now you will access the adapter's GUI (default username and password are 'admin' and 'password')

Go to 'Advanced' then 'PLC Settings' and turn off power saving mode.  I find this to be temperamental on most Netgear powerline adapters, including their newer models:

Capture_xwn5001_powersaving.JPG

Hope this helps

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7