× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Powerline AV500: All green lights, can't detect internet

Mattimator
Aspirant

Powerline AV500: All green lights, can't detect internet

Hey All!
We’ve had these powerline xav 5101s for a few years with them mostly working continually. We just this week got a new modem and router and hooked them up again and we’re now no longer getting internet through the powerline even when directly connected to the powerline. I have all solid green lights on both ends. I’ve both paired and reset both of them to see if that makes a difference. No dice. We’ve hooked the laptop up to it and looked at the utility and it seems to be detecting both. I’ve hooked the old router back up and connected it to the powerline adaptor again and still not working. Is there any sort of dark magic I might be missing?
Model: XAV5201v2|Powerline 500 Nano 1 Port Adapter
Message 1 of 3

We just this week got a new modem and router and hooked them up again and we’re now no longer getting internet through the powerline even when directly connected to the powerline.

Do you get Ethernet over the Powerline? Can local devices talk to each other?

And what it mean when you say "even when directly connected to the powerline"?

Does everything else work as expected? A pretty common issue when people replace things is that they fail to go back to square one. Everything on the network will notice the new hardware, and has to be set up from scratch. usually this is simply a case of starting things in the right order so that the various components pick up the local addresses in the expected order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

Message 2 of 3
Mattimator
Aspirant

Hey Michael, thanks for the quick response.

Diagram of my system.
Cable -> modem -> wireless router A -> powerline adaptor A-> outlet A ——-> powerline adaptor b -> wireless router b

I can connect to and get internet from wireless router A (which is the one we replaced. I can connect to but not get internet connection from wireless router b (both through cat 5 and WiFi) and I can directly connect my laptop to powerline adaptor b and not get an internet connection.

I’ve several devices all wirelessly and wired connected to wireless router A that are all working well. The powerline and 2nd router exist so that a different part of my house and its devices can all access the internet. Those all seem to be properly connected to wireless router b but are not receiving internet. For example my phone displays “No internet connection” and my laptop shows “Connected, No Internet” when connected to wireless router b.

“Even when directly connected to powerline” refers to having my laptop hooked up to powerline adaptor b via cat5 instead of through wireless router b.

I’ve restarted the router and modems several times very much like how you’ve described several times in an attempt to diagnose the issue with no results.

Thanks for your attention and assistance I hope this clears up my setup and helps diagnose the issue.

Matt
Model: XAV5101|Powerline adapter
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7