× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Powerline AV500 connection problems

Justine53
Aspirant

Powerline AV500 connection problems

I have just updated my home router as the old one wasnt working. I've got the router up and running without any problems but the powerline adaptors won't reconnect (my wireless network on my laptop still offers me the name of the old one). I've tried factory reset on the adaptors but no joy! Can anyone help? 

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Justine53
Aspirant

Re: Powerline AV500 connection problems

So, I have solved it! I had to connect a laptop to one of the adapters then it allowed me to copy the security info from the router over, and bingo, up and running. Problem is, most of my equipment is Mac, which doesn't have ethernet ports, so had to track down a laptop to use! Don't know how would have got it working otherwise! Thanks everyone for their input!

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I'm a bit confused. 

1. what router did you buy? 

2. did you use the same ssid (name) on the new router as the old? 

3. what actual powerline device do you have? 

4. You put the wireless network name is the same. Did you leave it from the old router? Are you using a powerline device with its own integrated wifi?

5. do devices hardwired into the powerline devices work?

Message 2 of 9
Justine53
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply. It's a virgin media one (so not sure what make) but I can connect wirelessly fine to the new router. I have got Powerline AV500 devices. I have connected one directly to the router, and two others in different rooms.

Initially I couldn't get my laptop / phone to find the extenders, but finally they have now appeared with the same name as the router (plus _ext on the end) but they don't accept the password when I try to connect to them

Devices hardwired into the extenders don't work.

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

there are powerline devices and powerline with built in wifi. 

You still haven't put what versions you have? AV500 is a spec.

Did you set whatever random versions you have up using wps? 

What virgin media router is it? (the label should have model number)

Message 4 of 9

As @plemans says AV500 doesn't tell us what plugs you own.

Is this the XAV5001? That's the only one that calls itself AV500. Others use labels like AV+ 500. (That's the XAV5601.)

@Justine53 wrote:

(my wireless network on my laptop still offers me the name of the old one).

The old wireless network of what? Router?

Message 5 of 9
Justine53
Aspirant

So, I have solved it! I had to connect a laptop to one of the adapters then it allowed me to copy the security info from the router over, and bingo, up and running. Problem is, most of my equipment is Mac, which doesn't have ethernet ports, so had to track down a laptop to use! Don't know how would have got it working otherwise! Thanks everyone for their input!

Message 6 of 9

@Justine53 wrote:

So, I have solved it! I had to connect a laptop to one of the adapters then it allowed me to copy the security info from the router over, and bingo, up and running.

So, the Powerline plugs were working but the rest of the network was not playing ball?

Nice to know that it now works for you. Unfortunately, anyone who turns up here following the Solved tag will be none the wiser. We still do not have any idea about the model of the Powerline plugs you were using. Are they even wifi plugs?

I add this simply to tell them not to waste too much time trying to work out the answer.

Message 7 of 9
Justine53
Aspirant

Thanks for the slightly patronising response! I have double checked them and all they say on them are
Power line av500. I assume the fact that I can now connect to them over wifi means they are wifi extenders.
Message 8 of 9

@Justine53 wrote:
I have double checked them and all they say on them are Power line av500.

That is not a Netgear model number.

AV500 plugs with a wireless access point built in are the XWN5001 and the XWN5021. A close examination of the back up the plug with show the "magic number".

PowerlineXWN5001

Netgear has sold it in various bundles with different "host" plugs. The XWNB5201, for example, also has an XAV5201 plug. That too is billed as AV500. The XWNB5221 bundle has the XWN5021 and the XAV5221. (I know, Netgear's model nunbers are strange.) That bundle also follows the "AV500" standard.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7