× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Powerline Adaptor Corrupt and won't Reset

K-C
Aspirant
Aspirant

Powerline Adaptor Corrupt and won't Reset

Hi Everyone,

I inadvertantly entered the incorrect password for one of my XAV1301's when setting the encrption. The device accepted the password, but now I can't access it as it always says "password incorrect, try again", but there doesn't appear to be any way of entering a password, other that when networked to another powerline adaptor and it refuses to "factory reset" to reset the encription.

The Netgear firmware upgrade tool can read the MAC address, but does not recognise it as a valid device. Is it dead, or is there some way to recover it?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Model: XAV1301v2|Powerline 200 Mini
Message 1 of 16

Re: Powerline Adaptor Corrupt and won't Reset

@K-C wrote:

Hi Everyone,

...it refuses to "factory reset" to reset the encription.

How are you resetting? Button or software?

Message 2 of 16
K-C
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have tried both button and software (with Netgear Genie). Neither works. If I try to change any setting with the Genie, I get a "failed" message.

I may have solved the encryption issue (I managed to correct the password by communicating via the second XAV1301v2 and guessing the correct password), but there is still a major issue. I currenlty have a XAV5201 connected to my router (BTHUB4), plus a XAV1301v2 and the "currupted" XAV1301v2 connected over the powerline. The baud rates vary, being dragged down by the problem unit, which doesn't even show its type or firmware version (it was previously upgraded to XAV1301v2 v0.2.0.9CE):

Device name: N/A

Model: N/A

MAC Address: 4C:60:DE:90:69:7D

LED status: OFF (set of with Genie, prior to problem occuring)

Firmware version: "Blank"

IP address: N/A

Network type: Private

Is there any software write to the Model type and/or to force load firmware to an unidentified unit?

Message 3 of 16
K-C
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Michael,

My last post was a red herring. What I thought had happed was incorrect. The corrupted XAV1301v2 was communicating direct with the Genie over the LAN, whereas the others were communicating with the Genie over a wireless connection to the router, so the encryption key may still be wrong. Even though the unit now displays the correct module password. With only the 2 XAV1301s plugged in, they still don't communicate with each other.

i'm still experimenting! Any suggestions?

Message 4 of 16

I may have my own red herrings, but your talk of a mixture of plugs makes me wonder if you have introduced them all to each other.

You should have been through this process:

Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Out of the box, plugs will only talk to the plugs they came with.

Message 5 of 16
K-C
Aspirant
Aspirant

To sort out the compatibility, I connected each one directly to the PC running the Genie and set the same encryption key to each one. The problem originally arose after I had tried an older XAV1301v1. This appeared to work, but slowed down the entire network, and also caused the 2 XAV1301v2s to show the incorrect icon in the Genie. After removing the XAV1301v1, one of the XAV1301v2s started playing up, although everything else behaves as expected. The one that works correctly even chaned back to the correct icon and if I connect the XAV1301v1 back in all 4 connected units till behave as expected!

The net result is that one of the XAV1301v2s has lost its identity.

Message 6 of 16

@K-C wrote:

To sort out the compatibility, I connected each one directly to the PC running the Genie and set the same encryption key to each one.

I find it easier to use the simple "push button" approach to pairing devices.

• Connect one plug to the router.
  • Plug second plug into mains socket
  • Press reset buttons on both plugs
  • Wait for them to pair.

Repeat process with router plug left where it is and replace the second plug until you have completed the batch.

Remember, the manual says:

An adapter can generate a private key only once. If you want to replace a private key, first reset the adapters to their factory settings.

XAV1301v1 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

Message 7 of 16
K-C
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Michael,

Unfortunately this bringd us back to the original problem that I can't reset the corrupted adaptor. I need a way of forcing a firmware upgrade or reset as the standard methods don't work. Genie displays:

Netgear Genie.bmp

Reset via software.JPG

Firmware update utility display:

Firmware update utility.JPG

A LAN connection displays the MAC address, but the identitiy of the adaptor has been lost. Perhaps an older utility may work if anybody has one. Alternatively, is there any un-documented way of carrying out a hard reset, other than the standard "factory reset" button?

Pressing the security button doesn't appear to do anything with the adaptor in its current state.

Message 8 of 16
clithes
Prodigy

That's a firmware upgrade executable, have you tried connecting to the unit using Netgear's powerline utility ?

Netgear Universal Powerline Utility 3.1.0.4

May be able to reset it from here

Message 9 of 16

The message I posted may have been a bit vague – that's Netgear for you – but as I read it you may have to reset all of the adapters to their factory state. Then you can re-establish the security connections.

Advice on Powerline seems to be poor. Maybe the technology is moving too fast. If you look at newer hardware, it does not mention, of offer, the Netgear powerline utility that clithes mentions. (That is where I would start.)

The idea seems to be to move people over to the standalone genie, which causes problems for some people in Windows 10.

Message 10 of 16
K-C
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've tried the Genie, the Universal Powerline Utility and the Firmware update utility for the XAV1301v2, no of which recognise the faulty unit. However, I have discovered that if I shut down all of the applications, then run the NETGEAR XAV101v2 Configuration Utility (or an other older package) the Genie then recognises the XAV1301v2!

Correct Genie Display.jpg

Therefore, I still think that an older utility of firmware package for the XAV1301v2 may do the trick, otherwise the unit is probably U/S as it won't tack to any other powerline units.

Does anybody have an early version of a utility for the XAV1301v2?

Message 11 of 16
clithes
Prodigy

I've got an old Powerline Utility from 2014, V2.2.27.1, which might be worth a try

Netgear Powerline Setup v2.2.27.1

Release notes in the link as well

Hope this helps

Message 12 of 16
clithes
Prodigy

I've also got v2.0.0.0, v2.0.0.2, v2.0.0.8 and v2.0.0.14 ! Let me know if you want to try any of these

Message 13 of 16

Recent experiences with the Powerline software is that the installation itself can be flaky.

Even if you have a "working" version it can throw up strange startup errors.

I discovered that reinstalling the software over itself – same version – can mend things.

Part of my problem may be that I have used a shortcut to get at the program.

Message 14 of 16
K-C
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have already tried 2.2.27.1 without success, but would like to try older versions as there is still hope!

I don't seem to be able to download from your google drive, could you possibly try OneDrive or Dropbox?

Message 15 of 16
clithes
Prodigy

I've uploaded v2.0.0.8 and v2.0.0.14 here on OneDrive

The earlier versions were a specific firmware upgrade for a different powerline adapter, so won't work with yours unfortunately.

Hope one of them works

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7