× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Powerline PL1000 Pair Not connecting over distance

AES_eddie
Aspirant

Powerline PL1000 Pair Not connecting over distance

I wish to create a WiFi hub at the front gate 150 metres from the house.
I have a pair of PL1000, work OK around the house but when connected at the gate and the house pair will give me a powerline network at the gate.
The pick a plug led starts green when I connect but then turns off. I can still connect to the home network and print at the house from the gate so there is still connection to the home network. There is also no internet at the gate.I require this to install a wifi gate video camera/intercom.
Windows networks diagnostics give an error of:
Ethernet does not have a valid IP configuration.
What do you suggest I do to fix this issue?

Model: PL1000|PowerLINE 1000 adapter
Message 1 of 5

@AES_eddie wrote:

I wish to create a WiFi hub at the front gate 150 metres from the house.

That may be too far for powerline Ethernet, especially if it is on a circuit with the sort of protection needed for outdoor installations.

@AES_eddie wrote:

I have a pair of PL1000, work OK around the house but when connected at the gate and the house pair will give me a powerline network at the gate.

I don't understand that sentence. Is there a "not" missing somewhere?

Have you managed to get your powerline Ethernet working with the two plugs near to each other? It is usually easier to set them up like that and then move the second (guest) plug to where you want to use it.

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

I agree. I think 150m is to far for this powerline setup. My understanding of homeplug is that if everything is optimal (perfect wiring, same circuit, no interference at all) is that at around 200m you don't have enough signal anymore. So if you have interference, ground fault issues, different circuit, etc- then 150m is going to be past that limit especially if you're trying to pass video down it. 

Message 3 of 5
AES_eddie
Aspirant

Yes, certainly I initially connected the units side by side and then moved one to the gate

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

@AES_eddie wrote:

Yes, certainly I initially connected the units side by side and then moved one to the gate

You had them connected right next to each other but when you introduce a 150m distance with potential interference, you might be able to get them to connect but the interference could be to much to pass video down it. Powerline is very sensitive to interference over distance.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7