× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Powerline PL1200 Speed is Very Slow

android_roy
Guide

Powerline PL1200 Speed is Very Slow

Recenty purchased the PL1200 at Best Buy. 

Configuration: SurfBoard gigabit capabe modem connected to Spectrum gigabit service (verified 1.3 Gbps coming into the house); Nighthawk X6, Tri-Band WiFi Router, AC3200 (R8000). Distance from room 1 to room 2 is just under 10 yards. 

I got green lights accross the board. The connection speed however is under 40 Mbps. I've tried different wall plugs and still cannot get even close to 45 Mbps. This product marketing is not meeting expectation. 

Any input?

Model: PL1200|Powerline 1200 Adapter
Message 1 of 11

@android_roy wrote:

I got green lights accross the board. The connection speed however is under 40 Mbps.

Connection speed of what and measured how?

Message 2 of 11
android_roy
Guide

The download speed and upload speed. I used Speedtest by Ookla website on the connected laptop. I was able to get as much as 50 Mbps last night. Which is way less then this product advertises. This house is new and is even wired with Ethernet everywhere except the room I’m working in which is why I bought the PL1200. I also used Googles speed-test capability and got about the same. The modem is pushing about 1.3 Gbps download speeds, the router (Nighthawk X6) is also pushing about 1 Gbps download speed wired, and about 500 Mbps wireless via 5GHz. So I’m confident that the bottleneck is either in this device or my wiring.
Message 3 of 11

@android_roy wrote:
I used Speedtest by Ookla website on the connected laptop.

More questions, I'm afraid.

Connected how? Wifi? Wired Ethernet?

And what is this laptop?

Does it deliver faster speeds elsewhere?

Message 4 of 11
android_roy
Guide

I'm sorry I do not understand your questions. I thought it would be very obvious, however if you think you can help, here you go, and thanks in advance. 

Room 1: 

ISP --> Modem (Surfboard Gigabit-capable, 1.3 Gbps) ---> Netgear Nighthawk X6 Router (1.0 Gbps wired/500 Mbps wireless via 5GHz) ---> PL1200 (a) (connected via CAT6 to closest electric plug 14 ft away). 

Room 2: 

PL1200 (b) ---> Dell Docking Station via 25 ft CAT6 ethernet. 

I've tested each segment, and noticed between PL1200 (a) and PL1200 (b) I am only getting (at best) 45 Mbps download speed. 

WRT your questions: 

1. Wired via CAT6 Ethernet

2. This laptop is a Dell with a Gigabit NIC 

3. Yes, I get close to 300 Mbps via wireless (WiFi 5GHz). However, wired connection needed to support home office requirements. 

I'm thinking its the specific device, but has anyone ever gotten over 50 Mbps speeds? 

Message 5 of 11

@android_roy wrote:

I'm sorry I do not understand your questions.

Funny that, you seem to have answered them.

Perhaps you mean that you don't understand why I asked them.

I asked about the laptop because too many people turn up with devices that have 100 Mbps LAN and then complain that they cannot get speeds of Gbps.

I asked about the wifi/LAN connection because people often turn up here and wonder why their 2.4 Ghz wifi clients can't get Gbps wifi speeds.

I am not familiar with Dell docking stations, so have no idea if that could cause a speed hit.

I usually also ask about firmware on the router and the modem in the chain. Newer firmware can fix things that slow down a router. (Did updates can also slow down a router.)  A modem that is also a router can cause "double NAT" problems that slow down, or disrupt, a network' although that would manifest itself without the intervention of Powerline plugs.

Any attempt to understand, and perhaps solve, problems, depends on knowing as much as possible about what is going on at the user's end.

I have PL1200 plugs that don't seem to have such a speed hit. However, my Internet connection is limited to 60Mbps.

Message 6 of 11
android_roy
Guide

Yes I was confused about why you asked and the type of questions, in my mind stating that I'm using the PL1200 was said with the assumption that things would be wired (Ethernet). LOL. No worries. 

The modem is new (less then 30 days), verified speed downloads of 1.3 Gbps. The Router (separate device) is the Netgear Nighthawk, and is new as well (less than 5 days). The PL1200 devices are also under 5 days old. 

Thanks for your input.

Message 7 of 11
android_roy
Guide

I see. And yes, that is my actual question. I've verified that all my clients (laptop) has a gigabit NIC. I've tested it directly connected to the router and I am able to get high speeds. It's just funny that this product advertises gigabit capability yet even you have never been able to get above 60 Mbps. SMH. May have to take back and seek another method to improve bandwidth to this hardwired connected client. 

Message 8 of 11

@android_roy wrote:

It's just funny that this product advertises gigabit capability yet even you have never been able to get above 60 Mbps.

That is my Internet speed. The only thing that I measure.

I do not make obsessive measurements of the speed of local traffic.

Message 9 of 11
android_roy
Guide

I have 900 Mbps to 1.0 Gbps coming out of the router (ethernet-connected) at a distance of 21 feet, and yet via the powerline adapter I'm barely getting 45 to 50 Mbps. That's why I'm obsessing. My bad. 

Message 10 of 11
Neldel
Initiate

Same problem. My PL is the one with passive socket. If i remove everything that's plugged into the wall sockets on both ends and just leave the PLs, i get the higher limit= 75mb. In real world, with everything hooked up (pc, modem, router, tv, xbox, etc, i get the lower end of the spectrum - about 65mb.

Have you solved this issue?
Model: PLP1200|Powerline 1200 Adapter
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7