× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Powerline (PLP1200) Not Connecting to Router/Internet

MG_2018
Aspirant

Powerline (PLP1200) Not Connecting to Router/Internet

Hi,

Connected a PLP1200 powerline device near my router and one near my PC and the lights are green (power and ethernet) so appears they have a good connection.

Connected one to my Google WIFI primary router hub and it doesn't appear to be getting any connectivity, at least according to my PC - its not able to join the network.

Not sure how to troubleshoot from here. Seems the powerlines are talking to each other fine but the google wifi router isn't talking to the powerline unit.

Any advice please?

thanks

Model: PLP1200|Powerline 1200 Adapter
Message 1 of 11

Re: Powerline (PLP1200) Not Connecting to Router/Internet

@MG_2018 wrote:

Connected a PLP1200 powerline device near my router and one near my PC and the lights are green (power and ethernet) so appears they have a good connection.

Connected one to my Google WIFI primary router hub...

Is this a third plug? Or did you move the second plug? Is the PC connected to the plug?

@MG_2018 wrote:
Connected one to my Google WIFI primary router hub and it doesn't appear to be getting any connectivity, at least according to my PC - its not able to join the network.

Is this the router mentioned at the beginning, or a second router on your network? The latter is a recipe for chaos. Two routers on a network need careful configuration.

I'm afraid I am not familiar with Google routers. If you want more help, you should tell people a bit about this and how it is set up. You network, layout is not at all clear to me.

Message 2 of 11
MG_2018
Aspirant

Hi,

Nothing complicated here.

BT provide a router to bring the broadband into the property. 

1 Google WIFi device connected to that, which drives the WIFI/wired connections in the house.

The powerline plug is connected to that google wifi primary device (via ethernet cable).

The 2nd powerline plug is in another room. The lights suggest it has a good connection with the powerline plug near the google wifi device but i'm not getting any internet connectivity. 

Thanks

Message 3 of 11

@MG_2018 wrote:

Nothing complicated here.

Looks hairy to me.

@MG_2018 wrote:

BT provide a router to bring the broadband into the property. 

If this is a  BT Homehub, then it is a combined modem/router and one that will not operate in modem only (bridge) mode. This means that your nameless Google WIFi device cannot also be in router mode. But you called it a "Google WIFI primary router hub" in your first message. That could mean anything and everything.

Sadly, Google's website seems to be more interested in being flashy than in explaining how the hardware works. (This is after all, the company that brought many thousands of websites to their knees late last year with some sloppy code that wiped out wifi devices all over the planet.)

@MG_2018 wrote:

1 Google WIFi device connected to that, which drives the WIFI/wired connections in the house.

The powerline plug is connected to that google wifi primary device (via ethernet cable).

This sounds like a recipe for confusion. If the Google WIFi device is a router then it will fight with the Homehub to hand out addresses for the local network.

If the Google thing is working as a wifi access point, without any router function, then it is not the right place to connect the Powerline plug, that needs to feed off the Homehub.

Message 4 of 11
MG_2018
Aspirant

There is only one router connected to the internet.

Only one thing connects to that, which is the primary google wifi device.

Everything else connects to that primary google device.

This would be a pretty standard setup for most people with adsl broadband coming in to their property.

Every other device connects to the internet via the google wifi device ... TV, sky box, printer etc. 

Powerline plug not working however.

Message 5 of 11

@MG_2018 wrote:

There is only one router connected to the internet.

But not the Google one described in the first message, it seems.

We still have no idea what this primary google device is and what functions it fulfills. (Is there any reason why you won't answer that question?)

You said earlier:

That is wrong. Like I said plug the PLP1200 into the Homehub. It might work then.

Message 6 of 11
MG_2018
Aspirant

BT provide the modem to bring the services into the property.

Google WIFI point connects to that via ethernet and manages all the internal wired and wireless network.

Nothing else connects to the modem, apart from the primary Google WIFI point.

Apologies for any confusion on terminology. Assume you would call the Google WIFI point a router?

The powerline plug is connected to the google wifi point, like every other device in the property.

Message 7 of 11

@MG_2018 wrote:

The powerline plug is connected to the google wifi point, like every other device in the property.

I have explained why this is the wrong way to connect a Powerline network. But you keep saying that this is how you have it set up and then complain that it won't work. How about trying the right layout?

You also refuse to tell us what this Google WIFI point really is. If it really is a router, then you can expect conflicts with your Homehub, whichever version that is.

I think it is time for me to leave you to play with your equipment. After all, your recent messages tell us nothing that we did not know already and answer none of my questions.

Message 8 of 11
MG_2018
Aspirant

What question have i refused to answer?

There is a BT modem. You cannot connect anything to that.

The google wifi point is the router. Its setup with the password etc to connect to the internet, via the modem.

There is no BT homehub involved. That would be a combined modem/router. I do not have a combined modem/router.

The google wifi point creates and manages the WIFI network but also has an ethernet port to which all wired devices are connected.

I do not think it would be possible to connect the powerline plug direct to the modem. There is only one port and the google router needs to use that.

Message 9 of 11

@MG_2018 wrote:

What question have i refused to answer?

There is a BT modem. You cannot connect anything to that.

But what is this BT modem? BT supplies many different modems.

I earlier suggested that it is a Homehub, which probably accounts for the vast majority of BT modems. You did not say otherwise.

Likewise, Google makes seems to make several different "wifi devices". Again we are all left guessing as to what yours might be.

A network is a network of stuff – the name gives it away – and all the bits have to work together. So before anyone can begin to sort out your problems they need to know what is on the network. And not just "this bit from BT, that bit from Google". I have yet to encounter a bit of hardware that does not have a label on it with a model number.

Message 10 of 11
MG_2018
Aspirant

Apologies for assuming you would have heard of the Google WIFI product, its a router.

Anyway, here's a link - https://store.google.com/product/google_wifi

I don't expect you to have to read it, but if there is a specific question about it, let me know. But essentially its a router, much like any other.

The Google WIFI point (aka the router) connects to an ADSL modem supplied by BT openreach when installing broadband into the property. I cannot tell you anything about that one, it just a white box with a BT logo on it. No doubt manufactured by another company. But in this setup, its irrelevant. You cannot connect anything directly to it as the device would need the BT infinity account credentials to connect ADSL signal.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7