× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Powerline SLOW and slowing down wifi

ftracy3
Initiate

Powerline SLOW and slowing down wifi

Hi---I just added a Powerline 2000 to a Powerline Wifi extender network, linking with the non-wifi Powerline1000 attached to my router. The 2000 is in an outlet in the same room with the wifi extender. After pairing I get three green lights on the 2000 with an occasional red on the middle outlet check. 

I was getting around 70 Mbps over wifi through the 1000 extender, more to devices plugged into the LAN port on the extender. Through the new 2000 I'm getting 5-8 Mbps and it has slowed the extender wifi speed to essentially the same slow rate. Unplugging it and the wifi speed goes back to normal. Any ideas what's causing this and if there's a fix? My understanding was that poor performance by one Powerline would not slow the others.

Model: PLP2000|Powerline 2000 + Extra Outlet
Message 1 of 3

Re: Powerline SLOW and slowing down wifi

@ftracy3 wrote:I just added a Powerline 2000 to a Powerline Wifi extender network, linking with the non-wifi Powerline1000 attached to my router.

I'm finding it hard to understand what is going on here.

How many plugs in total on your network?

How many plugs are connected to the router? (One is enough is everything is supposed to be on the same network.)

What plugs make up the Powerline Wifi extender network?

My understanding was that poor performance by one Powerline would not slow the others.

The network will run at the speed of the slowest plugs. For example, add 2000 Mbps plugs to a 500 Mbps network and it will run at 500 Mbps.

Remember, the network speed is not be the same as the speed of the LAN ports ion the plugs.

PS I have moved this conversation to the appropriate Powerline Networking section, and out of the zone for Mobile Routers, Hotspots & Modems.

Message 2 of 3
ftracy3
Initiate

Re: Powerline SLOW and slowing down wifi

Hi, there are 2 (now 3) plugs on the network. The Powerline 1000 WiFi and the second plug that came with it have been in use for a few years and working fine together. The plug is wired directly to the router in my family room. The accompanying Wifi module is plugged into an outlet in my bedroom. The wifi speed from that module is a bit slower than plugging in something via ethernet on that wifi module (there's a port on the bottom, which is handy as i have some video equipment right by that location).

The reason I bought the Powerline 2000 to plug into another outlet in the same room was because I have some wireless speakers that I thought might perform better if hard-wired instead of on wifi (and I didn't want the hassle of running wire from the wifi module LAN port to the speaker location, which is across the room). So I bought the 2000, paired it to the original module that's wired to the router, and that immediately throttled the wifi module signal in the bedroom and was barely getting 5-8 or so Mbps through the LAN port on the new Powerline 2000 and on wifi. So yes, I understand that the signal will travel at the slowest rated speed of any module in the network, but plugging in a higher rated speed should not slow down (drastically) the speed of the other modules. And I can't figure out why plugging in the 2000 nearly kills the Powerline 1000 wifi speed (btw, the signal remains strong, it's just the speed that gets tanked).

I'm probably going to just figure out a way to do the hard wiring across the room but if somebody can figure out what's happening here and if there's a fix it will be appreciated

Model: PLP2000|Powerline 2000 + Extra Outlet
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7