× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Powerline XAVB5001 - Problem to connect through router

Frenzn
Follower

Powerline XAVB5001 - Problem to connect through router

I got a problem with my internet connection with my new Powerline XAVB5001 adapter kit.

Setup:
Room 1: ISP Router, XAVB5001 Adapter
Room 2: XAVB5001 Adapter, Netgear WGT624 Wifi Router, PC

When I connect the PC in Room directly to the powerline adapter I have no problems connection to the internet. When I connect the PC through the Netgear WGT624 router to the powerline adapter I can't get an online connection (always get a DNS error according to Windows 7 diagnostics).
What do i have to change in my settings to get a connection? Thanks for the help?
Message 1 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Message 2 of 7
Sarasa
Novice

Hi, I'm experiencing the same problem but i can't resolve it.
My set up is simple:
room1: modem 1 (wired to) router 1 (wired to) powerline 1
room2: powerline 2 (wired to) router 2 (DHCP is disable and different IP)

1 - If I wire a computer (instead of router 2) to powerline 2 I can access internet.
2 - If I wire a router 2 directly to router 1 (i.e. not using powerline adparters) I can access iternet.
3 - However when I wire router 2 to powerline 2 (as mentioned above) I have no internet.
Therefore are powerline adapters different than a wired connection?
(2 compare to 3)

Thanks!
Message 3 of 7
Sarasa
Novice

Somebody, please help me!
Message 4 of 7
JohnnyDevXI
Aspirant

I'm experiencing the same challenge;

Satellite Modem > Router1 > XAVB5001 Powerline Adapter > XAVB5001 Powerline Adapter > Router2 > Desktop

I have DHCP turned off for Router2. I have a static IP set on router 2 that is below the ip addresses assigned by router1. Router1 has dhcp turned on.

Cannot ping router1 from desktop

Any ideas here?

Thanks
Message 5 of 7
JohnnyDevXI
Aspirant

3/29/2012 4:08:00 PM
Hi,

I was able to get the issue resolved.
Specifically I have a Linksys WRT300Nv2 as my main router, and a Linksys WRT310N as my secondary router. I flashed the secondary with dd-wrt os and then followed the following setup instructions to set it up as a WAP - http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point

I set it up first directly with a single wire between the two, then put the powerline adapters inbetween. worked like a charm.

Thanks for the suggestion.
John
Message 6 of 7
maia
Aspirant

I´ve similar problem, and my net design is like this:

Internet->ADSL wireless modem router -> XAVB5001 (room1)-> XAVB5001 (room2)-> Access point wireless -> Notebook

Case 1)- when i connect my notebook directly to the XAVB5001 (room2) i can access internet without problems.
Case 2)- when i connect my notebook to the access point, can´t get no internet access.

So, it sounds to me that there is something wrong or in the netgear configuration to support an access point or there is something wrong in the access point configuration to connect to the powerline.

Well, the idea of this design is to extend my internet connection another room from where i can´t reach the wi-fi from the base modem. So, extending the internet thru electrical power and connecting an access point to it, I thought i could get an wi-fi connection from the access point....but I may be doing somethig wrong...

Can I have a help here ?

Thanks in advance,
Antonio Maia
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7