× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Powerline adaptor PLP1200 interrupted connectivity

WiFiFree
Follower

Powerline adaptor PLP1200 interrupted connectivity

Hi, I purchased 4 of the PLP 1200 Powerline Adaptors on Amazon last November (2016), because I prefer to use wired to wireless networks for health reasons. However, after many months of consistent interruptions of my internet service, I'm now realizing that my Powerline device is either malfunctioning or incompatible with the wiring in my house. Several times a day, my internet cuts out. Sometimes I get a blinking red light on the bottom indicator light, but often, all lights continue to show green.

I've used Powerline adaptors in other houses without issues. My current home is 100 years old. Are there issues with these devices not functioning properly in older homes? Very disappointing to have spent $90 and only now realizing that it may not work.

For now, I've unplugged these devices and relucantly switching back to WiFi. can anyone advise me on this? Is it possible that my devices are faulty. Again, they were purchased new less than a year ago, though probably no longer under warranty.

Thank you

Model: PLP1200|Powerline 1200 Adapter
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions

Re: Powerline adaptor PLP1200 interrupted connectivity

Powerline does rely on the local wiring on the mains circuit. So if it has problems it could interfere with the link.

Have you experimented with different mains sockets?

A couple of things to look for, noisy electrical devices that might send spikes on to the line, things like fridges and heaters that turn themselves on and off.

Powerline devices may not work with "smart" extension blocks that have surge suppression or anything else that tries to clean up the mains. My experience is that they work fine with "dumb" extension leads.

Have you tried resetting the plugs to factory settings and creating the network all over again? Remember, you need just one plug connected to the router. Just add new ones to the network as this describes:

>>> Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network <<<

You can add the plugs to the network when they are in the same room, and then move them to their intended location.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies

Re: Powerline adaptor PLP1200 interrupted connectivity

Powerline does rely on the local wiring on the mains circuit. So if it has problems it could interfere with the link.

Have you experimented with different mains sockets?

A couple of things to look for, noisy electrical devices that might send spikes on to the line, things like fridges and heaters that turn themselves on and off.

Powerline devices may not work with "smart" extension blocks that have surge suppression or anything else that tries to clean up the mains. My experience is that they work fine with "dumb" extension leads.

Have you tried resetting the plugs to factory settings and creating the network all over again? Remember, you need just one plug connected to the router. Just add new ones to the network as this describes:

>>> Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network <<<

You can add the plugs to the network when they are in the same room, and then move them to their intended location.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7