× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Powerline and wifi extender

AlexEgan
Aspirant

Powerline and wifi extender

Hi,

I currently have the PL1000 pluged in to my router and have the other pluged into my desktop in another room - i dont want to remove these.

I was wondering if i was to get the PLW1000, would i have to plug it into my router as well, or could i just plug it into the sockets around my house?

Basically - with the PL1000  connected to my router, will the PLW1000 work?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: PLW1000 is no longer available, so forgetting the actual products used, can i use a wifi range extender if only a non-wifi powerline is connected to my router?

Model: PL1000|PowerLINE 1000 adapter,PLW1000|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions

Re: Powerline and wifi extender

@AlexEgan wrote:

So i should be able to add a Wifi extender to my sockets with only the non-wifi extender connected to my router?

Yes.

Modern powerline devices work to the "AV" standard. So you can add any AV plug from any maker to an existing network.

There are a few things to remember though. The network will run at the speed of the slowest plugs on the network. So if you add 1000 Mbps plugs to a Powerline AV 200 network, it will all chug along at 200 Mbps. But 1000 Mbps plugs have an advantage in that their LAN socket also works at 1000 Mbps for wired devices.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies

@AlexEgan wrote:

I was wondering if i was to get the PLW1000, would i have to plug it into my router as well, or could i just plug it into the sockets around my house?

You only need one plug connected to the router.

Just add new plugs following these instructions:

>>> Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network <<<

Sadly, you will not be able to buy a single plug to add to your network. Netgear, and most powerline suppliers, sell only pairs, or other multiples.

Message 2 of 4
AlexEgan
Aspirant

So i should be able to add a Wifi extender to my sockets with only the non-wifi extender connected to my router?

Just need this confirming as it looks like the the link you added says it has to be the same product?

Message 3 of 4

@AlexEgan wrote:

Yes.

Modern powerline devices work to the "AV" standard. So you can add any AV plug from any maker to an existing network.

There are a few things to remember though. The network will run at the speed of the slowest plugs on the network. So if you add 1000 Mbps plugs to a Powerline AV 200 network, it will all chug along at 200 Mbps. But 1000 Mbps plugs have an advantage in that their LAN socket also works at 1000 Mbps for wired devices.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7