× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Powerline dead? (XAV5421)

DaveRuk
Tutor

Powerline dead? (XAV5421)

Noticing a sudden loss of internet connectivity, checked XAV5421 Powerline and no LEDs showing at all. No warning, no intermittent connection, no hints whatsoever. Tried reset both when already on power, and also as power was switched on. Nothing.

Anything else I can try or is it just fit for the bin?

Model: XAV5421|Powerline 500 1 Port Adapter
Message 1 of 4

Tried different mains sockets?

Message 2 of 4
DaveRuk
Tutor

First thing I checked, even though it was plugged into a double socket that is still feeding other hardware happily.

I've tried reset and re-pair buttons in every power permutation I can think of. Final check was to grab the paired unit, and put them both in a pair of power sockets next to each other, switched the sockets on, and one shows LEDs within a couple of seconds, the troublesome one does nothing.  Safe to assume it's dead I think. 

I have no idea about the reliability of these things but think it pretty disappointing that one just dies with no warning whatsoever, It's been in the same socket doing the same job for ages with nothing moved nor changed. When I'm bored I'll probably open it up to see if there are any signs of something frying itself.

Message 3 of 4

I think you can safely assume that it is dead.

@DaveRuk wrote:

I have no idea about the reliability of these things but think it pretty disappointing that one just dies with no warning whatsoever, It's been in the same socket doing the same job for ages with nothing moved nor changed.

The XAV5421 dates back to 2014.

Unfortunately, electronic stuff rarely, if ever, warns that it is about to die. That is the nature of electronics. It is dead or alive.

Powerline plugs face an extra challenge. They live on the mains circuit, and that is the weak link at the front of the chain. It is where power surges and lightning strikes enter the network. Lightning is a great way of killing electrical gubbins.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7