× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Powerline instructions?

gr8white6
Aspirant

Powerline instructions?

This concerns an older XWN5001 and XAV5201.  I am trying to get it working and am not having luck.  The online documentation for the XWN5001 says that it assumes you are starting with a Powerline network.  Are there some instructions to say how to connect these two devices from scratch?  I have not been able to find it.

Model: XWNB1601|Universal WiFi Range Extender-Powerline PassThru Edition
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Powerline instructions?

The manual links are here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XWN5001.aspx#docs

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XAV5201.aspx#docs

There is also some management software in the downloads section of these support pages - that is referred to in the manual for the XWN5001 (which is more complete than the XAV5201).

The general procedure:

1. Do a factory reset on both devices (pressing the reset button for at least one second).
  2. Plug in the XAV5201 near the router, and connect it to a router LAN port.
  3. Plug in the XWN5001 somewhere nearby the XAV5201 (for initial setup).
  4. If the powerline LED (center) is solid green, the devices are paired.  If they don't pair, press the security button for at least 2 seconds on both devices.  They should then pair.
  5. Use the powerline Genie software to set up the XWN5001 as a WiFi access point, as described on page 12 of it's user manual.
  6. When done, move the XWN5001 to it's real location, and make sure the powerline LED is still paired.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

The manual links are here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XWN5001.aspx#docs

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XAV5201.aspx#docs

There is also some management software in the downloads section of these support pages - that is referred to in the manual for the XWN5001 (which is more complete than the XAV5201).

The general procedure:

1. Do a factory reset on both devices (pressing the reset button for at least one second).
  2. Plug in the XAV5201 near the router, and connect it to a router LAN port.
  3. Plug in the XWN5001 somewhere nearby the XAV5201 (for initial setup).
  4. If the powerline LED (center) is solid green, the devices are paired.  If they don't pair, press the security button for at least 2 seconds on both devices.  They should then pair.
  5. Use the powerline Genie software to set up the XWN5001 as a WiFi access point, as described on page 12 of it's user manual.
  6. When done, move the XWN5001 to it's real location, and make sure the powerline LED is still paired.

Message 2 of 4
gr8white6
Aspirant

Thank you so much.  Using your concise summary, I was able to get the system working.  The only issue I had is when I got to the step involving Genie, the network map I got looked nothing like the instructions.  The XVN5001 did not show up in the network map at all.  I really did not use I was able to get working and now I have Wi-Fi access where I needed it.  Thanks so much for the help.

NOTE:   Even though it is working, when I use Genie and select "Home", the WiFi Connections shows as "Not Connected"  Does this make sense?

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad I was able to help. Smiley Happy

@gr8white6 wrote:

NOTE:   Even though it is working, when I use Genie and select "Home", the WiFi Connections shows as "Not Connected"  Does this make sense?

It's been a while since I tried it, but it should show "connected" if a client device is using the wifi.  

However, if it's working I wouldn't worry about it.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7