× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problem with XAVB5221 - cannot make it work

ddregs
Aspirant

Problem with XAVB5221 - cannot make it work

Hi all,

I am asking for support here in order to install and configure my newly bought Powerline XAVB5221

What happens is the following scenario:

as soon as I connect the 2 XAVB5221 , one to the router and the other to my laptop, the laptop gets (via DHCP) the address and then all the network is brought down, pinging the router fails.

I tried recreating the keys by pressing factory reset for 1 sec on the 2 XAVB5221 3/4 times, ping to the router resumes for a couple of seconds then it vanishes again.

My house network is quite complex, but I managed to try it in this simplified scenario:

- router is a Netgear D6300 

- a Netgear GS605 switch is connected to it

- another Powerline is connected to the router , Netgear XAVB2101, and it is working fine for a few years now.

I noticed the GS605 (v4) switch connected to the router is the first one that crashes as soon as I connect the new Powerline XAVB5221, and I need to disconnect the power from this switch to make it work again.

Every Powerline is being connected direct to the power without any surge/other device, I tried connecting the new ones directly in the same room or in the next room and the problem still remains.

So, I am asking for suggestions here (I will write tonight to Netgear support since I do not have serial number of the devices with me)

Thanks in advance

So far, I don't kno

Message 1 of 3
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Problem with XAVB5221 - cannot make it work

It doesn’t seem like you are doing anything particularly unusual and your configuration should work.

I’m guessing that this could possibly be a hardware fault with the Powerline products, in which case you could perhaps test them out at a different location e.g. a friend or relative’s house. Otherwise maybe an issue with your house wiring e.g. a faulty earth connection at one of the sockets or part of the circuit, you could try using other sockets / rooms as a test, or buy a socket tester for a few £’s.

The only technical issue that I could imagine might be a possibility is that you have somehow created a network loop?

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/effect-of-a-network-loop.html

Message 2 of 3
ddregs
Aspirant

Re: Problem with XAVB5221 - cannot make it work

No network loops are present, unfortunately.

I simplified the network to do the tests, since my house has 4 switches (1 GS608 and 3 GS605), 1 Powerline XAVB2101-100PES, and several devices connected (decoders, tvs, pcs, access points, tablets, smartphones, nas), and in the configuration used for XAVB5221 installation I just had router connected via ADSL, the NAS, 1 PC connected via cable, 1 GS605 switch connected via cat 6 ethernet cable to the router and 1 powerline XAVB2101 to the switch.

So far, I'm pretty sure no network loops are there in this simplified configuration.

Thanks for your suggestions though. 🙂

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7