× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problems with initial setup

yellow_jacket
Follower

Problems with initial setup

1. The remote unit has only one available duplex outlet, which is weather-protected, with flap doors on each outlet, and the unit simply will not fit into the outlet. Can I use a short, six-foot, heavy (12 gauge), extension cord, with three prongs (i.e., fully grounded) to connect the unit to the duplex?

2. Can either unit be in a GFI outlet, or "downstream" from a GFI outlet?

3. We have a "whole house surge protector" at the breaker box. Does this impair these units?

4. The first unit is within 3 feet of the breaker box, and within 4 feet of the router (actually a Netgear 8-slot switch which is then connected to the router 6 inches away). The run of wire to the remote unit is probably a total of 250 feet. First, it is solid copper 12 gauge Romex. Then it is braided 12 gauge underground rated cable. Then about 20 more feet of 12 gauge solid copper Romex. Then a final run of maybe 100 feet of braided 12 gauge copper undergound, inside schedule 40 conduit pipe. So to summarize:  this is first through the house, then underground to a detached garage, and then underground again to a cabana where we want to have internet. So it's all copper, solid>braided>solid>braided. It's all continuous, all connected, and all running off the same main breaker box in the house. Is there anything inherently wrong with this set up for this hardware? Should it work?

Model: PLP1200|Powerline 1200 Adapter
Message 1 of 2

Re: Problems with initial setup

@yellow_jacket wrote:

1. The remote unit has only one available duplex outlet, which is weather-protected, with flap doors on each outlet, and the unit simply will not fit into the outlet. Can I use a short, six-foot, heavy (12 gauge), extension cord, with three prongs (i.e., fully grounded) to connect the unit to the duplex?

If you want to know if you can use the "remote" powerline plug on an extension lead, then I do this all the time.

The rest goes into technical details that are beyond my skills. For a start I don't know what a "GFI outlet" is. (Google isn't much help either.)

You may be "overthinking" think.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7