× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Powerline PLW1000 slow speed unless rebooted?

Paulstaff
Aspirant

I am unable to reply to this thread: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Powerline-Networking/Powerline-PLW1000-slow-speed-unless-rebooted/t...

Thus the reason for starting a new discussion related to it.

The discussion points to another thread about using a Zyxel PLA Series Powerline Utility to disable Standby mode in Netgear Powerline units: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Powerline-Networking/Netgear-Powerline-1000/m-p/1129924#M3771

I downloaded the recommended version of the Zyxel utility and installed it on my computer running the latest Windows 10 but it doesn't work, the utility is all messed up graphically when launched and no settings can be changed, it can't even find my Powerline 1000 units even though I'm connected to the Powerline wifi when launching the utility. It's obviously useless.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong? I suspect my Powerline is slowing down my whole network due to going into Standby awhile after reboot, but am not sure. Is there another way to turn off Standby on these Powerline units? It's nowhere to be found in the Netgear mywifiext.net utility. I am running the latest 1.0.0.6 firmware and have the Netgear assigned a fixed IP address outside the router DHCP range.

Thanks for any help!

Model: PLW1000|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 1 of 4
Paulstaff
Aspirant

Anyone?? Do I need to run Windows 7 in a virtual machine under Windows 10 to successfully run the Zyxel utility?

Message 2 of 4
DJH-TAC
Aspirant

Same issue, exactly as described by original poster. Zyxel utility does not seem to be compatible with Windows 10 - it launches but is a garbled mess. Like many previous posters, my PLW1000 seems to work fine until there's a prolonged period of nonuse, then it seems to go into standby mode, red light comes on, and my speed drops from 30-50 Mbs to about 2-3. Very difficult to reboot and "wake" it.

Can anyone help with this?

Model: PLW1000|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 3 of 4

@DJH-TAC wrote:

Zyxel utility does not seem to be compatible with Windows 10 - it launches but is a garbled mess

Try a different version of the ZyXel utility. It launches here.

You could also try the Netgear Genie. If it recognises your plugs it may give access to the sleep settings.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7