× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replacement Power Cord for XAV1004 - Powerline AV Adapter With Ethernet Switch

thegnord
Aspirant

Replacement Power Cord for XAV1004 - Powerline AV Adapter With Ethernet Switch

I just moved and went to hook up my trusty XAV1004 Powering Adapter (https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XAV1004.aspx), when I realized: I lost the power cord!

Is it possible to purchase a replacement power cord?

Model: XAV1004|Powerline AV Adapter With Ethernet Switch|EOL
Message 1 of 5
thegnord
Aspirant

Re: Replacement Power Cord for XAV1004 - Powerline AV Adapter With Ethernet Switch

I called, battled the phone tree, and reached a represetnative who told me the company does not sell replacement parts. He said I should go on Google and find my own. Too bad...

Message 2 of 5

Re: Replacement Power Cord for XAV1004 - Powerline AV Adapter With Ethernet Switch

Most Netgear stuff works with generic power supplies.

Look on the back to find the volts, amps and polarity. Then buy something with the same specs.

You might even have something suitable lying around.

Message 3 of 5
thegnord
Aspirant

I did go online and find a generic replacement part, works fine!

Unfortunately, after going through all this trouble and getting it up and running, I was surprised to see that my internet connection is 2x faster over WiFi than through the ethernet adapter. I suppose the connection would be more reliable through the adapter, but that's not a problem I'm trying to solve.

I guess sending the signal through the electrical lines is just not efficient, so it slows the speed.

Message 4 of 5

@thegnord wrote:

I guess sending the signal through the electrical lines is just not efficient, so it slows the speed.

It is usually the other way round. Wifi is slower than wired.

But old LAN ports, like those on the XAV1004, work at 100 Mbps (100BASE-Tx). New stuff, including some powerline, does 1000 Mbps. There is even 10,000 Mbps on its way.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7