× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Roku 3 can't connect to Powerline XAVB5201

cooncats
Aspirant

Roku 3 can't connect to Powerline XAVB5201

I have my Powerline LAN using the default PW "HomePlugAV".  Everything will connect with the wifi from the powerline but the Roku 3 which will not recognize this password or the password of the router into which the Powerline is connected.

The Roku 3 has no problem detecting and connecting to the wifi of my ISP provider as well as the router of the VPN service I use.  At present, I also have the Powerline connected into the ISP's router but sometimes I switch it over to the VPN's router.  Regardless of the router, the Powerline will not connect via wifi to the Roku 3.  I want to do this because the signal strength is much better and steadier.

I get the ROKU error message about adding some line to the router but as noted previously, the ROKU connects directly to the wifis of both routers with no problem. 

Any way to fix this?

Thanks!

Model: XAVB5201|Powerline 500 Adapter
Message 1 of 6
cooncats
Aspirant

Also, note that if I connect the ROKU to the Netgear extension module using an ethernet cable, it works fine.  It is only the wifi that cannot connect with the ROKU.

Message 2 of 6
clithes
Prodigy

Did you mean XWNB5201? The XAVB5201 is powerline only, no Wifi

HomeplugAV is the password the powerline adapters use to communicate with each other, not your Wi-Fi password.

Connect a PC / Laptop to the LAN port of the Wi-Fi adapter and browse to www.mywifiext.net.  You should then be able to access the settings of the extender, and change it necessary.  Default username is 'admin', and password is 'password'

Is the Wifi SSID broadcast by the extender still NETGEAR_EXT ?  If not you have accessed the settings some time in the past and changed the SSID, and probably the password as well

Message 3 of 6
cooncats
Aspirant

Thanks for that great answer!

The answer to your question is yes.

It shows up as NETGEAR_EXT 2

So that would suggest it has been changed.

I'll go look see as you suggested and see what I find.

Again, many thanks!

Model: XAVB5201v2|Powerline 500 | 1-Port
Message 4 of 6
cooncats
Aspirant

OK when I open up that software at wifiext it identifies the SSID as NETGEAR_EXT but on my computer wifi it shows up as NETGEAR_EXT 2 but I think the computer may be adding the two.

I don't see any way in there to discover and change the password.  That would be the same password that the ROKU needs to have entered, yes?

Thanks!

Model: XAVB5201|Powerline 500 Adapter
Message 5 of 6

If you install the Netgear desktop genie for Windows, the network map should bring up the Powerline device.

This will give you access to the configuration page for the plug.

There you can change the SSID and the wifi password.

NETGEAR_EXT is the SSID that Netgear hands out to its wifi extenders.

If the genie doesn't work – maybe it relies on seeing a Netgear modem/router – then there is yet another Powerline genie that you can get from the support pages for your hardware:

XAVB5201 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

This should also detect your Powerline devices and give you some idea of what is going on. Here, the Powerline genie shows me the IP address of the wifi plug. If I connect to that, I get the setup options for the plug.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7