× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Samsung smart TV not accessing network connection AV 500

MarthaCR
Aspirant

Samsung smart TV not accessing network connection AV 500

I have a samsung TV hooked to my AV 500 adaptor via ethernet in an upstairs room. All lights are solid green. The main device is plugged in next to the modem downstairs. Lights are two solid green and ethernet light is solod blue.  All worked well until recently. The tv won't make an connection to the network, thus I can't access any streams such as Netflix. I got a new modem recently, should I have reset something? I have contacted both my provider and Samsung and no one can tell me how to fix it. 

Model: XAV5001|500Mbps Powerline Ethernet Adapter|EOL
Message 1 of 9

Re: Samsung smart TV not accessing network connection AV 500

@MarthaCR wrote:

I got a new modem recently, should I have reset something?

Did that coincide with the start of this problem?

Reset the plugs, and set up from scratch.

You don't say but I assume that you have already taken the Samsung TV through the network setup process. That is the obvious first step and is usually the way to deal with network issues.

Message 2 of 9
MarthaCR
Aspirant

I am not positive that it coincides with the new modem setup. I can't remember for sure if I have used this tv since updating the modem. 

1. I thought I read somewhere that if the ethernet light (the one that is blue) is not blinking, that there is no data travelng through. 

2. I have gone through the Samsung network setup several times with their rep.

3. I just reset (with a paper clip) each part. Now the middle light does not light up on either one, and the left light on the adaptor in the remote location is solid red instead of green.

Model: XAV5001|500Mbps Powerline Ethernet Adapter|EOL
Message 3 of 9
MarthaCR
Aspirant

Have not received any more replies to help me. Anyone? Would hooking up  a Roku device help me with this? 

Message 4 of 9

@MarthaCR wrote:

1. I thought I read somewhere that if the ethernet light (the one that is blue) is not blinking, that there is no data travelng through. 

Somewhere? Tried the manual?

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in the model number and find the documentation for your hardware.

@MarthaCR wrote:

Now the middle light does not light up on either one..

Again, check the manual:

Off. The adapter has not found any other compatible Powerline devices using the same encryption key, or has been turned off through the Powerline utility.

The manual has a section on what to do when you see these LED indicators. This includes detailed advice that goes with the LED indications you see.

Have you tried any of those?

Message 5 of 9
MarthaCR
Aspirant

I do not find the manual helpful. That is why I am inquiring here for better clarification. 

When seeing the blue light, according to the manual, I should reset the device,which I did. The manual does not tell me what to try next if that does not fix the problem. I tried going to the Powerline utility to see if I could get any more information there, but when clicking the link provided in the manual, get a page not found message.  

It does appear that the issue is the powerline and not the tv, because I cannot access the network on my laptop in the same room that the tv is in either. 

Message 6 of 9

@MarthaCR wrote:

It does appear that the issue is the powerline and not the tv, because I cannot access the network on my laptop in the same room that the tv is in either. 

I assume that the laptop is also connected to a powerline plug. You don't say.

Message 7 of 9
MarthaCR
Aspirant

No, it is not hardwired in. Does the powerline plug not provide wireless access? 

Message 8 of 9

@MarthaCR wrote:

No, it is not hardwired in. Does the powerline plug not provide wireless access? 

The XAV5001 listed in your original message does not come with a wifi access point as its remote plug.

The XWN5001 is the plug that has both wifi and wired Ethernet. Look for the wifi symbol on the front.

Your first message said "I have a samsung TV hooked to my AV 500 adaptor via ethernet in an upstairs room."

No mention of wifi in there. The laptop will not connect to the wifi if all you have is the XAV5001. It should connect of you plug the laptop into the XAV5001. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7