× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Set-Up PLP1200 with existing PL1200

drpapillon
Follower

Set-Up PLP1200 with existing PL1200

I have a PL1200 that works great.  However I need one more adaptor for another device.  So I purchased a PLP1200 which comes with two units (I think they are called adaptors). Before setting them up I called Netgear Complimentary support (free 90 days after purchase) to make sure I am doing everything correctly.  They said to just plug one of the PLP1200 units in an outlet and keep the old existing PL1200 connected to the router via ethernet cable.

Doing that I received no internet signal (Unidentified network) at the end of the new PLP1200.  Long story short, they had me move the new PLP1200 unit to a different outlet, then try the second PLP1200 unit, do factory resets, press the security button, etc.  All with the same result of not being able to identify the network and get internet to my device.  Then they suggested going back to the store, return the new PLP1200 and get anothr one, same model.  Which i did today.

But in case I did something wrong in the set-up process, how do I do it right with the replacement PLP1200?

Thanks,

Model: PLP1200|Powerline 1200 Adapter
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions

Re: Set-Up PLP1200 with existing PL1200

@drpapillon wrote:

They said to just plug one of the PLP1200 units in an outlet and keep the old existing PL1200 connected to the router via ethernet cable.

That's wrong. Here's what you have to do.

>>> Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network <<<

There is a manual for the device somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> PLW1010v2 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

See page 19.

It is often easier to set up the new plug in the same room as the "host" plug that is attached to the router. After you have set it up you an move the new plug to its final destination. It will remember its settings.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies

Re: Set-Up PLP1200 with existing PL1200

@drpapillon wrote:

They said to just plug one of the PLP1200 units in an outlet and keep the old existing PL1200 connected to the router via ethernet cable.

That's wrong. Here's what you have to do.

>>> Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network <<<

There is a manual for the device somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> PLW1010v2 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

See page 19.

It is often easier to set up the new plug in the same room as the "host" plug that is attached to the router. After you have set it up you an move the new plug to its final destination. It will remember its settings.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7