× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setting up old router (N750/DGND4000) to use as wireless access point

Sigo
Aspirant

Setting up old router (N750/DGND4000) to use as wireless access point

I have aPowerline AV 500 set up, Pass through adapter (XAV4501) and WiFi Access point (XWN5001).

It works brilliantly.

I wish to extend the reach by adding another similar access point, but Netgear don't sell them as single units.

Question one, if I buy a new kit including the Adapter, can the adapter itself be used as an assess point?

Question two, I have learned that I might be able to use an old router (N750/DGND4000) as an extender.

I am a bit of a dunce in undersatnding whether this router is suitable, and furthermore challenged to configure it.

I should be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction, first by confirming whether what I've understood IS possible, and second referring me to the precise instuctions as to HOW to do it.

Thanks a lot.

Message 1 of 12
TheEther
Guru

Re: Setting up old router (N750/DGND4000) to use as wireless access point

Any router can be set up as an Access Point, provided it is wired into the main network.  The universal instructions are as follows:

1. Disable the DHCP server on the router to be set up as an Access Point.
  2. Assign a static IP address to the router that belongs to the same subnet as the main router but is outside of the range of DHCP addresses managed by the first router. This will avoid an IP address conflict. Change the DHCP range to free up an address, if necessary. Write down this address. You will need it to log into the router.
  3. Connect one of the LAN ports on the router to the main router. Leave the WAN port on the secondary router disconnected.
Message 2 of 12
Sigo
Aspirant

Thank you for prompt response, but I said I was a bit of a dunce.

DHCP, disconnect it...errr?

Subnet, static IP address??...I'm really struggling with 2.

If I make it to 3. do I leave the connection via the LAN ports permenantly connected, the new access point is some 50 metres away although on the same circuit.

I'm really sorry, I need the ABC, if only 'Dummies for setting up a wireless access point via an old router' existed. I might need to call in an expert.

Thanks again The Ether, much appreciated, at least I know it's a universal solution, once I've cracked the terminology maybe I'll succeed.

Message 3 of 12
TheEther
Guru

Perhaps this CNET article will help.  The article is missing an important step.  Between steps 2 and 3 there should be an additional step to change router A's IP range: 192.168.1.2. through 192.168.1.254.  It should be changed to 192.168.1.3 through 192.168.1.254.  This frees up 192.168.1.2 to be used by router B.

Message 4 of 12
Sigo
Aspirant

Thank you again. I'm away from home for a few days so will try again when back. A quick glance through the article tells me this should be relatively unchallenging to follow. Appreciate it.

Message 5 of 12
Sigo
Aspirant

Sorry not been back, away then ill. Tried this morning. I can't even get into the router's Access Point via ethernet cable to a LAn port...put in its IP address all it said was 'not connected to the internet'! Followed Mac instructions - no green dot showing connection. Am I being utterly dim, or is there something I'm missing in the router's set up/settings? In spite of your kind help, I'm in despair, if I can't even get into the settings, then there's not much hope for doing the more complex stuff. Durr...

Message 6 of 12
TheEther
Guru

What IP address did you use to connect to the router?  Did you follow the instructions in the article to determine the router's IP address?

Message 7 of 12
Sigo
Aspirant

Can't connect to the router...went to 'Or on a Mac:'...System Preferences,>Network>select connected connection (you should see a green dot...) no green dot. I'm obviously currently connected to the internet (using my current router) via ethernet and am familliar with the green dot. Perhaps there's simply something wrong with the router, I haven't used it for a couple of years, that said it lights up and the 5Ghz blue light is on. Thanks for your patience.

Message 8 of 12
Sigo
Aspirant

Further...I can now connect router to computer with ethernet (showing green dot) by entering 192.168.1.3 using 'DHCP with manual address') But still can't get into Access Point mode on screen.

Message 9 of 12
TheEther
Guru

Did you follow the instructions in the CNet article?

Message 10 of 12
Sigo
Aspirant

Yes, as I said above i entered 192.168.1.3 but no access to the Access Point screen on my computer. Not too sure what 'chanmged to 192.168.1.3 through 192.168.1.254' means, only room for one range of numbers in an IP address. I'm trying to follow everything you sent very precisely.

Message 11 of 12
Sigo
Aspirant

Update...I restored factory settings on the Netgear router. Then succes in accessing the Access Point mode/screen, so instructions followed - including the supplementary info from CNET about additional steps between step 2 and 3. BUT it tells me to change my main (Internet provider here in France-SFR) router's range from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.3 Frankly I'm loathe to fiddle with the provider's box (new router A) since it will invalidate any online support they provide when I ocassionally have issues. Am I being a scaredy cat?

I'm happy to change the Netgear Router (new router B) settings as instructed. Further slight problem when Netgear asks for User Name and Password, it won't recognise those assigned and applied last time I used the N750/DGND4000) as my principle router.

So there we have it...thank you for your patience TheEther, but I'm going to abandon trying to use the old router as a Wi-Fi bridge and buy a Powerline set up.

Thank you again.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7