× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setting up security on PLP2000

alokeprasad
Mentor

Setting up security on PLP2000

Hi,

Just purchased a pair of these devices (came in a box).  I have these plugged into outlets in the same room, nearby, so that I can set up the security/encryption.  I'm using this as the instructions:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/PLP2000/PLP2000_UM_EN.pdf

Question 1: Does one of the units need to be plugged to my cable router for me to set up the encryption between the 2 PLP2000's?

As soon as I plug these into nearby sockets, the Power and the Pick_A_Plug (PAP) led's light up solid green on both units. Step 2 (page 13) says:

Press the Security/Factory Reset button on the first PowerLINE device for two seconds. The Power LED starts blinking after you release the button, ...

That never happens! The LED's stay lit solid.  I have pressed the Security button for various lengths of time.

I'm stuck at this stage.I could use my uunits (the Power and PAP LED's are solid green, so the units should work.  But I don't want to connect to my router and use the units until I'm assured that the traffic is encrypted.

Any suggestions?

Model: PLP2000|Powerline 2000 + Extra Outlet
Message 1 of 2
alokeprasad
Mentor

Re: Setting up security on PLP2000

I figured it out.  The secret is to release the button in timely manner (after 2 -3 seconds).  I was holding it expecting lights to flash etc after the requisite amount of time.

I have follow-up questions:

1) How do I verify that my traffic is encrypted?

2) How do I verify that I'm using a custon encryption key and not the factory default key?

Using the factory default key won't protect me from neighbors who might have Netgear powerline equipment.  Right?

3) How far do the packets travel beyond my house? Next door? entire city block?

Thx.

Aloke

PS: I wish the device has extra buttons for pairing, factory reset, and more single-purpose LED's that gave us info on the status, connection speed etc.  Better still, a small LCD panel with status display would be nice.

Model: PLP2000|Powerline 2000 + Extra Outlet
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7