× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Speed issues

Bikerider
Aspirant

Speed issues

Bought htis unit yesterday and it works well. Only thing is the internet speed is way slower than my router connection.

I have a 500/500Mb/s line but the PL1200 only gives

68Mb/s down and 89Mb/s up. Is there a way to tweak the unit to optimize my line?

Erik

Model: PL1200|Powerline 1200 Adapter
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Speed issues

Powerline has many things that can influence its speed. I'll post an article on this below of issues and potenial things to make it better. 

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3041996/pump-up-your-powerline-how-to-get-the-best-performance-from-...

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

Another issue the article doesn't mention is distance. The further away you are, the lower the speeds. So in summary here's the biggest degredations to your powerline speed.

1. Distance

2. Surge protectors/UPS/Power strips

3. Arc fault circuits

4. GFCI outlets/circuits

5. some cell phone/usb chargers can cause problems

6. poor wiring or older wiring

7. Bad outlets. 

Message 3 of 7

@Bikerider wrote:
...the PL1200 only gives

68Mb/s down and 89Mb/s up. Is there a way to tweak the unit to optimize my line?

What have you plugged into the PL1200.

The plug may support Gbps Ethernet, but if the hardware you connect is limited to 100 Mbps, you won't get any faster than that.

Message 4 of 7
Bikerider
Aspirant

Hi

I have a ASUS RT-N66U router and when I connect the cable directly into my PC i get approx 500/500 Mb/s but with the PL1200 much slower. And the PL1200's are pretty close so I was a bit disseapointet by the speed I got. Are there cables that limits the speed? I bought regular ones from my local computer store.

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

@michaelkenward  is talking about the device connected to the PL1200 that is getting the lower speed test. What are you testing this with? Is it gigabit?

Message 6 of 7

@Bikerider wrote:

Are there cables that limits the speed?

Yes.

But what is at the other end of the cable?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7