× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Strange Issue - PL1200 (X1 Data Usage)

PF-Keirtt
Aspirant

Strange Issue - PL1200 (X1 Data Usage)

Everyone,

I'm hoping I can have some help with this issue. If found to be correct, it could open up a flaw with Comcast's X1 Gateway and potentially help customers who use their products. About three months ago, my wife and I purchased a Samsung video security monitoring system. The system connects 4 x 1080p HD (30 fps) cameras directly to a DVR box that stores the video locally (1TB). The DVR is located in our bedroom and hooks up to our TV. 

The Netgear Powerline 1200 is in our bedroom and connects to its base downstairs in the living room, which ultimately connects to the modem. We noticed after hooking up the security system, our data usage sky rocketed to almost 1,300 GB/month. Yes, that's correct, we went from 100GB/month family to almost 1,300GB/month. My sister purchased the same product and installed it in her house. The system allows you to view the live video feed from outside of your network. They are maybe using 200-300GB/month with the same setup; HOWEVER, the big difference here is that their unit connects directly to the modem via ethernet cable. 

So I've called Comcast and Samsung... the culprit (Or atleast the variable here) is the Netgear Powerline 1200. There were some concerns that the X1 gateway is misinterpreting data from the Powerline adapter... they're concerned that the Gateway may be reading it as downloaded data from the transmission between the two points. Unfortunately, when you contact Netgear directly, you get what sounds like a foreign, outsourced tech "expert" that is reading from a prompt and has no real clue about the product.

Obviously this is a little deep, but it's the only thing anyone (including myself) can think and it kind of makes sense when you really think about it. Maybe someone with better knowledge of the product can chime in? If this were to be accurate, some of you know that Comcast has a new 1TB data cap and it would be interesting to expose that a product can provide misinterpreted results and ultimately cause the consumer to pay additional money, unecessairly. We have verified that there are no connections to our network that could possibly be stealing data, but the gateway from Comcast lacks the feature to track the data usage of specific devices... I would chalk it up to it's just the DVR, but I have family with the same setup and they are not using anything close to same amount of data.

Thanks for any help that can be provided!

Model: PL1200|Powerline 1200 Adapter
Message 1 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Re: Strange Issue - PL1200 (X1 Data Usage)

Hi PF-Keirtt,

To properly isolate the problem, you can try removing the PL1200 from your network and if possible connect all the devices to your gateway. We just have to verify if it is the PL1200 since the communication between the two powerlines are just for local and should not affect the your bandwidth.

Message 2 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Hi PF-Keirtt,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 3 of 6
PF-Keirtt
Aspirant

James,

Thanks for the reply. It has taken me a little longer than expected to get the CAT5 cable that I need. I'm having to run an extended line from upstairs to the gateway downstairs. In addition to that, I'm thinking it'll take a few days of testing to verify data usage. I'll get back to you in the next week or so to let you know of my results. Thanks!!

Message 4 of 6

That is why I always prefer eth cable over PLC/WIFI!

Message 5 of 6
chill400
Aspirant

Interesting, I'm experiencing the same issue. My comcast data usage went from a typical 100-200Gb/month to over 1500 in April. I had to enable unlimited usage at a $50/mo penalty until I can sort it out. 

The Netgear Powerline 1200 is in my son's room and he told me he has isolated the usage to it. He's seeing it drive usage to 50Gb/hr! This has been discovered over the last few days so we have not yet tried to remedy it, but losing the Netgear is high on the list of things to try. I do not have the option of running an ethernet cable to his room so I'll be looking at competing products. I don't see how this can be attributed to comcast, but I could be missing something. I do not have an X1 security system.

Thoughts?

Model: PL1200|Powerline 1200 Adapter
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7