× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Trouble connecting router to Powerline HELP!

surfish95747
Novice

Trouble connecting router to Powerline HELP!

Here is how we currently have our powerlines set up. We have a modem from Comcast with a Frys brand N router hooked into the modem. Next we have a base powerline XAV2501 plugged into the wall and the router that goes to the modem. Then I have a powerline XAV2001 plugged into my bedroom which gives my computer internet just fine. As soon as I disconnect my computer from the powerlne in my bedroom and try to plug in a wireless router (same Frys brand N router), I lose internet. I plug in my computer to the router which is plugged into the powerline and it says I am connected to my network, just no internet. Furthermore, the powerline utility says it can find no devices. Why would this be happening. I need a wireless router plugged into my bedroom so my Ipad2 can get a wireless signal. This should work shouldnt it?? Thanks guys!
Message 1 of 11
Kevinsyel
Novice

Having the same issue.
Broadcasting to the Powerline Via a Linksys E3200, which is also broadcasting wireless. trying to receive the Powerline signal into a Linksys E1000, and broadcast wireless there as well. I'm thinking it may be due to an IP confliction... I've been told by a friend of mine to set one of the routers as an access point. trying to get more information from him. I will post a solution if I find one

Kevin
Message 2 of 11
SoCalScott
Aspirant

I have the same issue. Were either of you able to come up with a solution?

Thanks!
Message 3 of 11
dickie
Novice

This will be down to an IP conflict issue - when you plug the wireless router in, by default most will give out a 192.168.1.x address out of their LAN port. In the scenario you described this means that the router near the internet connection is giving out 192.168.1.x addresses , and then the new router you plug in will give out similar addresses (but neither will have knowledge of the other).

My best advice would be to either

1) Buy a wireless extender / AP instead of a router at your 'iPad' / client end
or
2) Connect to the router you are using at the iPad / client and and make the following changes;

-Under the LAN interface, disable any DHCP Server (so it won't give out addresses)
-Connect the cable from the Powerline into the Ethernet ports on the router (NOT the internet/WAN port)

If you do this then all of the IP addresses will come from the router near the internet connection, and locally you'll just be serving wireless
Message 4 of 11
SoCalScott
Aspirant

I tried the second suggestion, and it didn't work. I can plug the second router directly with an Ethernet cable and it works fine, but when I put the Powerline adapters into the mix, I get nothing at the second router.

Here's what I'm trying to do:

Router 1<-->Powerline 1<-->house wiring<-->Powerline 2<-->Router 2

I know the Powerline adapters are working properly because I can connect my laptop directly to Powerline 2 and it works perfectly. When I connect a router to the second Powerline adapter, it doesn't work.

Suggestions? Help?

Thanks!
Message 5 of 11
fordem
Mentor

One network, one router - don't break this rule unless you know what you're doing.

Why do you need two routers?
Message 6 of 11
bwake1959
Aspirant

You really need to configure that second router as an access point *only*.

I'm about to try something similar. I'm not sanguine. I tried configuring a cheap router as a wireless bridge. It was a bear.

I get the impression that router mode gets most of the attention from developers and QA. It tends to be a bit less buggy.
Message 7 of 11
SoCalScott
Aspirant

fordem wrote:
One network, one router - don't break this rule unless you know what you're doing.

Why do you need two routers?

I don't necessarily need two routers...an access point would work. I need something (router, access point, or???), because I have poor wireless coverage in part of my house.
Message 8 of 11
SoCalScott
Aspirant

bwake1959 wrote:
You really need to configure that second router as an access point *only*.

I tried setting it up as an access point -- no go.

I have a feeling that there's something unusual about the HDX101 powerline adapters that's causing the problem. I'm going to try some different powerline adapters to see if I get a different result.
Message 9 of 11
dickie
Novice

SoCalScott wrote:

I know the Powerline adapters are working properly because I can connect my laptop directly to Powerline 2 and it works perfectly. When I connect a router to the second Powerline adapter, it doesn't work.

Suggestions? Help?

Thanks!

mmm... shot in the dark, but disable any SPI/firewall on that R2. I suspect my Time capsule / AFP problem was down to something in the firewall on my router/switch dropping the packets (I think the powerline may do some switcheroo with the MAC addresses and the firewall thinks its a man-in-the-middle attack). Once I moved it to go through a different, non-firewalled switch, it all works fine..

After that connect a laptop into an ethernet port and R2 , and just see if you can ping R1 at all. In theory it should ARP and you may find that you can see R1 , but R2 will be inaccesible (I had this with another Netgear router - it didnt mind acting as an AP, but you couldn't take to it directly)/
Message 10 of 11
SoCalScott
Aspirant

Dickie

R2's firewall is disabled. No go.

What is the "DMZ?"

Also, I've been reading about crossover cables. Is it possible I need one?

Thanks for your help!
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7