× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Trying to add PL1000 to existing PLP1200 network

mikemarsh76
Tutor

Trying to add PL1000 to existing PLP1200 network

Hello all -

My current powerline network, which is currently working properly, consists of:

Transmitter:  PLP1200

Receiver 1:  PLP1200

Receiver 2:  PL1200

Receiver 3:  PL1200

I just purchased a set of PL1000 + PLW1000 which I'd like to add to the above existing network as Receivers 4 & 5.

After plugging in the PLW1000 adapter (same room as the Transmitter), I pressed the factory reset button for one second, and waited for the "Pick A Plug" LED to light up.  I've waited 30 minutes and only the Power LED (green) and WiFi LED (blue) remain lit.

I unplugged the PLW1000, replaced with the PL1000, factory reset, and had the same results.  Power LED (Green) and no lights on the "Pick A Plug".

To make certian there was nothing wrong with the adapters I received, I plugged both the PL1000 and PLW1000 into outlets in the same room, and they did see each other.

For some reason the PL1000 and PLW1000 are not seeing the existing PL1200/PLP1200 powerline network.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Model: PL1000|PowerLINE 1000 adapter,PL1200|Powerline 1200 Adapter,PLP1200|Powerline 1200 Adapter,PLW1000|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 1 of 14

This might be helpful:

Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It helps to set up the new devices near to the plug that is the "base station". Get each plug talking to that and the extension plugs move them to where you want them.

Message 2 of 14
mikemarsh76
Tutor

michaelkenward I get that you respond to tons of these questions, but please read my OP.

Message 3 of 14

I did read your question. Your reply does not tell me if you read the link I provided.

Message 4 of 14
mikemarsh76
Tutor

I read that link previous to posting, and I've re-read it.  Previously followed instructions to a tee before posting here.

Message 5 of 14
mikemarsh76
Tutor

Per the walk-through link:

Step 1)  Make sure your current Powerline adapters are plugged in and working in your current Powerline Network.  DONE

Step 2)  On any of the Powerline adapters in your current Powerline network, press the Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter Security button for 2 seconds.  DONE

Step 3)  Within 2 minutes of pressing the Security button on the existing Powerline adapter, you want to press the Security button on the second adapter (the one you want to add) for 2 seconds.  DONE - DID NOT WORK

Troubleshooting

If you are having problems with synchronizing one or more Powerline adapters, you have the option of resetting them to Factory default by pressing the Factory Reset button for 1 second, then release.  Resetting the Powerline Adapter to Factory default will reset the security encryption key back to its default, then you can try steps 1-3 (above) again. You can also reset the adapter by logging into the genie interface of the powerline adapter.  DONE - DID NOT WORK

Message 6 of 14
clithes
Prodigy

Install Netgear Genie (if you haven't already) and then click on Network Map.  Wait a little while (sometimes a minute or two) and then the Powerline Network icon will appear in the top right hand side Capture_powerline_symbol.JPG(left symbol)

This will then show how many adapters are 'talking' to the one your PC / Laptop is connected to.  Right clicking one of the adapters and selecting 'Security' will show all adapters, like this:

Capture_powerline_list.JPG

You can then deduce how many are missing / not communicating.  By connecting the offending adapters directly to you PC / Laptop you can manually set the encryption password.  Once you have this set for all your units they should all play together quite happpily.

If you have inserted the Powerline Pwd off the back of each unit into the Genie application you can remotely change the adapters' settings, otherwise you will need to connect them one by one.

Message 7 of 14
bjgirdwood
Aspirant

I have added the Genie and it will not recognize the Powerline Network i.e. no PN icon appears. Not sure what else I'm supposed to do.  **** Forget it. I figured it out. ****

Message 8 of 14

@bjgirdwood wrote:

**** Forget it. I figured it out. ****

Any chance that you could share how you did this?

It could be of enormous help to anyone who turns up here with the same problem.

Message 9 of 14
LorisAlbanese
Aspirant

I'm having same issue. First buy two of XAVB5421, then another two.
I can't add new adapter to powerline network. Even resetting to factory default every box, even follow the procedure.

What's wrong? how can i solve this problemi?

thank you.

Model: XAVB5421|Powerline 500 + Extra Outle | 1-Port
Message 10 of 14
LorisAlbanese
Aspirant

Rif.: Trying to add PL1000 to existing PLP1200 network

Hi @mikemarsh76 . I find the right procedure.

Start with two adapter. create a powerline network. Adapter called A and adapter B.

When network is available and device over the powerline is working. On adapter A (or B, tha's the same) press the security button for 2 second.
Adapter start blinking and generate a new keypair and so on ...

On the new adapter C, press reset button. wait boot for a 3-4 second. Then press Security Button. Wait until 3 led power off and power on.

Between 30 second adapter C is on the powerline network. Repeat for adapter D.

This procedure worked for me having XAVN5421 (Adapter A) and XAVB5422 (Adapter B), adding two more XAVB5421 Adapter.

Let me know if you can solve the problem.I used about 4 hour (googling everywhere) to setup 2 new adapter to powerline networ.

😉 Loris

Message 11 of 14

Rif.: Trying to add PL1000 to existing PLP1200 network

@LorisAlbanese wrote:
I used about 4 hour (googling everywhere) to setup 2 new adapter to powerline networ.

Did you search the Netgear site?

It may be well hidden, but this Netgear piece in the KnowledgeBase explains what to do:

>>>>> Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network <<<<<

You should also find the same information in the manual for your plugs.

It is best done with the new plugs close to the "host" plug that you've connected to the router. That reduces any interference and delays over the mains network.

When that works, you can move the new plug to wherever you want. It will remember that you have introduced it to the host plug.

Message 12 of 14

@LorisAlbanese wrote:

I'm having same issue. First buy two of XAVB5421, then another two.

Check the manual:

>>>> XAVB5421 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

See page 27, Add a Device to the Powerline Network.

Message 13 of 14
LorisAlbanese
Aspirant

Thank you @michaelkenward , I'm tryying to explain what'hanne when you follow the procedure described here: https://kb.netgear.com/22165/Adding-a-powerline-adapter-to-an-existing-powerline-network :

"

Step 1)  Make sure your current Powerline adapters are plugged in and working in your current Powerline Network.  DONE

Step 2)  On any of the Powerline adapters in your current Powerline network, press the Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter Security button for 2 seconds.  DONE

Step 3)  Within 2 minutes of pressing the Security button on the existing Powerline adapter, you want to press the Security button on the second adapter (the one you want to add) for 2 seconds.  DONE - DID NOT WORK

Troubleshooting

If you are having problems with synchronizing one or more Powerline adapters, you have the option of resetting them to Factory default by pressing the Factory Reset button for 1 second, then release.  Resetting the Powerline Adapter to Factory default will reset the security encryption key back to its default, then you can try steps 1-3 (above) again. You can also reset the adapter by logging into the genie interface of the powerline adapter.  DONE - DID NOT WORK"

Just like issue having @mikemarsh76 . Following manual same thing. I downloaded latest release here http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/XAVB5421/XAVB5421_FullIG_11July2014.pdf. At pag. 9 :

Step by step :

1.Plug in and connect the new adapters. Done

2. On all of the previously installed adapters, press and hold the Factory Reset button for one second. This returns them to the factory settings. Done

3. Secure the Powerline network:
a. On any of the adapters, press and hold the Security button for two seconds. Done : a Random number of 2 adapter (of overall 4 available) join a new secured powerline network. 
b. On any one of the other adapters, press and hold the Security button for two seconds. Both buttons must be pressed within two minutes. Done. This do not the trick. At the end of 2 minutes i have a random 2 adapter in the powerline network. RANDOM 2 of 4 available. (if i do this procedure 10 times, i get only random of 2 adapter join new network). :'(

But if you want. buy 4 VAXB5421 adapter and follow your procedure.
When you're exausth, follow THIS procedure to have up to 16 adapter join the powerline network:

Start with two adapter. create a powerline network. Adapter called A and adapter B.

When network is available and device over the powerline is working prepare new adapter for join powerline network.
On adapter A (or B, tha's the same) press the security button for 2 second.
Adapter start blinking and generate a new keypair and so on ... (as described in the manual or a web procedure)

On the new adapter C, press reset button. wait boot for a (t least) 3-4 second. Then press Security Button. Wait until 3 led power off and then power on.

Between 30 second adapter C is on the powerline network. Repeat this procedure for new adapter D, and so on up to 16 adapter (tech. spech. say this)

This procedure worked for me having XAVN5421 (Adapter A) and XAVB5422 (Adapter B), adding two more XAVB5421 Adapter.

Let me know. Really. Let me know. If you want, i can post a video show my result and my waste of time following suggested procedure.

thank you for your attention.

Loris

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7