× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Two networks both using PLW1010 V2 for the headend - problems?

solidsolutions
Aspirant

Two networks both using PLW1010 V2 for the headend - problems?

I have two completely different networks headended by two routers connected to a single Arris cable modem for our two building residential property.  One network already has a PLW1010-100NAS with two remote wireless adapters.  I now want to add another PLW1010 headend with a single wireless remote to provide both a wired ethernet connection for a small switch and better wireless connectivity.  Just as with the already installed network I'll use the same network SSID to facilitate device roaming.

What problems if any can I anticipate?

Model: PLW1010|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 1 of 3

Re: Two networks both using PLW1010 V2 for the headend - problems?

Not sure that I follow the layout here:

@solidsolutions wrote:

I now want to add another PLW1010 headend with a single wireless remote to provide both a wired ethernet connection for a small switch and better wireless connectivity. 

Is this new Powerline network supposed to be independent of the existing network?

Is it using the second router as the "host"?

Message 2 of 3
solidsolutions
Aspirant

Re: Two networks both using PLW1010 V2 for the headend - problems?

I have two distinct networks each with their own headend router, IP structure, SSID, etc.  The "B" network has one headend PL1010V2 and two remote PLWs - one in each structure.  Each of these has a switch connected to the ethernet port on each of the PLWs to provide wired connections.  The PLWs also use the same SSID as the headend router to allow for seamless WiFi for ourselves and visitors.  This works really well and provides good performance.

Right now I'm using a very old WiFi extender for the "M" network but it continues to have issues some of which I assume are due to the concrete block walls   I am also concerned as the DD-WRT version is ancient and I'm sure it has major security holes.  With Kali I can crack it in just a few minutes.

I believe that I should be easily able to add a completely separate headend/remote pair based on my research - I just want someone who has actually done this.  I do understand my network is more like a business would have but that's what I did my entire life until retirement.

Model: PL1010|PowerLINE 1000 adapter
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7