× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to add multiple powerline adaptors

PAC38
Aspirant

Unable to add multiple powerline adaptors

We are trying to add a second set of powerline adaptors to a pair we have had for years. Once the first set is paired (whether an original pair, or a mix-and-match of one old and one new), it doesn't recognise any subsequent adaptors. The top light doesn't come on or flash at all. We have tried doing them one at a time in the same room, and it still doesn't work. Any advice please?

Model: PLP1000|Powerline 1000 + Extra Outlet
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Unable to add multiple powerline adaptors

Message 2 of 8
PAC38
Aspirant

Hi, Yes I did follow the guide, and have reset both sets of adaptors to factory settings. Of the 4 available adaptors, I can plug in any two and they connect, but when I try to plug in a third adaptor, either by swapping it for the second (child) adaptor, or by adding it alongside the other two, it doesn't work. The top light doesn't come on. Thanks! 

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

what 2 sets do you have?

Where is it failing in the process? 

Powerline devices are pretty compatible with other companies devices if they're on the same spec. 

So long as you set them up properly, they should work together. 

Message 4 of 8
PAC38
Aspirant

It's 2 sets of identical Powerline 1000 adaptors. It seems to be failing at the point where we try to add the 3rd adaptor. It goes like this (after factory reset): 

1. Set up first set of adaptors - works fine. 

2. Add third adaptor - bottom two lights come on, but top light does not come on and no connection to the working pair even if security button is pressed. 

or 

1. Set up first set of adaptors - works fine. 

2. Take out child adaptor and swap in adaptor 3. Parent adaptor cannot pair to new child adaptor, even if security button is pressed. 

3. Take out adaptor 3 and swap back in original child adaptor - works fine. 

If I do a factory reset on all adaptors, the first two that are plugged in (regardless of whether they were the same original set or not) will pair up no problem, but any subsequent adaptors do not connect. 

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

the sets are paired from the factory so they should always pair together unless forced to pair with other devices. 

Are they new? 

You could always contact support if they're new. 

To get a hold of support. Click on "MyNetgear" at the top.
Register an account (or login) and then the device.
From there you can start the support process. Keep in mind that its only free for the first 90 days.

Message 6 of 8
PAC38
Aspirant

Thanks. One set is new and the other set is a couple of years old. I didn't get far with the Support service, but I will try again. Thanks. 

Message 7 of 8

@PAC38 wrote:

It's 2 sets of identical Powerline 1000 adaptors.

There is more than one model that would count as that. PL1000, PL1000v2, PLP1000, PLW1000. But no matter. In this case exact model numbers probably aren't important.

I haven't seen any mention in this discussion of the fact that you need just one plug connected to the router. So your two new plugs should be set up as stand-alone devices that both talk to the single "host" plug.

Unless you want to create two separate networks, don't connect two plugs to the router.

The new plugs don't even have to be set up where they are meant to operate., Set up the "guests" near to the "hoist" plug and then move the guest to its final destination.

If that does not work, then maybe something on the mains circuit is playing silly buggers with the plugs.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7