× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Upgrade? PL1200S

bmanfull
Aspirant

Upgrade? PL1200S

Hi All,

I have Xfinity X1 for internet with an 800mbps plan.  I am getting just under 700mpbs with an ethernet cable plugged directly into the X1 cable modem.  I am using the Powerline 1200 adapters now and I am getting around 270mbps with an etherenet connection into the adapter.  Will upgrading to the Powerline 2000 improve my speeds or am I being limited by the wiring in the house and should not expect to see an improvement?  Any input or experience would be appreciated.  Thanks, Bill

Model: PL1200|Powerline 1200 Adapter
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

even 4k streaming only uses around 25-40mbps. So if you're hitting 200+mbps,  your pulling more speed than what the device is using. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I wouldn't expect to see a whole lot of improvment going from the pl1200 to the plp2000. But you might. 

They're both av2 mimo devices so they're the same standards.  I haven't used the 1200 or 2000 versions. 

Is there something you're needing more speed for? 

Message 2 of 5
bmanfull
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.  I am on Zoom quite a bit and was having problems with consistent connectivity.  I upgraded to Cat-6 cabling and saw a speed improvement and more stability.  I am now going around the house and seeing more inconsistencies in speeds.  I was wondering if an upgrade would help get closer to the bandwidth I am paying for and better reliability when streaming.

@plemans wrote:

I wouldn't expect to see a whole lot of improvment going from the pl1200 to the plp2000. But you might. 

They're both av2 mimo devices so they're the same standards.  I haven't used the 1200 or 2000 versions. 

Is there something you're needing more speed for? 

Model: PL1200|Powerline 1200 Adapter
Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

even 4k streaming only uses around 25-40mbps. So if you're hitting 200+mbps,  your pulling more speed than what the device is using. 

Message 4 of 5
bmanfull
Aspirant

Thanks for the input.  I will keep what I have and update a few cables.  BTW I did see 10mbps improvement by just swapping cat-5 with cat-6 cables  

Bill

@plemans wrote:

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7