× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Very slow internet speeds with Netgear PLW1000

paultidal
Follower

Very slow internet speeds with Netgear PLW1000

Hi

I had my broadband service upgraded today from Virgin Media's residential 100Mbps fibre (using Virgin Superhub 3) to Virgin Business 350Mbps fibre (using Hitron CGNV4 router). My PLW 1000 worked perfectly on my previous service (with a steady 75-85Mbps speed) but I'm strugggling to get over 20Mbps speed (using speedtest.net) with my new service. I can, however, get speeds of 260Mbps+ by connecting directly to the Hitron router (either with ethernet or WiFi) so Virgin have understandably pointed me back at the Netgear equipment. 

The WiFi icon for both the 2.4Mhz and 5Mhz signals both show as 'full' (strong) on both my desktop devices (a 2016 iMac running OS X 10.11.6 and a 2009 iMac running OS X 10.6.8, using both Safari and Chrome) and connects without issue but the speed is obviously far from satisfactory. I have tried a number of solutions
i) I have twice tried a Factory Reset on both adapters and installed the network both using the Security button; the Pick A Plug LED shows green on both adapters (signifying a Link Rate of greater than 80 Mbps/best) 

ii) I have tried a direct ethernet link from the receiving adapter to my device (to eliminate a WiFi issue in the receiving location) but this also records low speeds. 

iii) I have changed the ethernet cable between the sending adapter and the router (using Cat5e and Cat6 patch cables as well as the cable supplied with the PLW1000), again, without improvement.

I have accessed the NetGenie using my browser and confirmed that the firmware is up to date (V1.0.0.6) and that the 2.4Mhz Wireless signal is showing 'Up to 200Mbps' and the 5Mhz signal is showing 'Up to 433Mps'. I have attached a screenshot of the settings.

Any help and advice would be very gratefully received.

Regards

Paul

Model: PLW1000|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Re: Very slow internet speeds with Netgear PLW1000

Hi paultidal,

Relocate the 2nd adapter closer to the 1st adapter where the router is located and check the speed.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi paultidal,

Relocate the 2nd adapter closer to the 1st adapter where the router is located and check the speed.

Message 2 of 3
JamesGL
Master

Hi paultidal,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7