× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What Access Points can I add to existing PowerLINE PL1000 Adapter?

JohnW24x7
Follower

What Access Points can I add to existing PowerLINE PL1000 Adapter?

I am still a newbie to understanding networks, but I have successfully installed the Netgear PowerLINE Wifi 1000 extender, and it really works great.

I want to add one more Access Point.

I have been unsuccessful in finding out where I can solely purchase another PLW1000 device, so what are my options?

Am I missing where I can purchase another PLW1000 access point? Can someone recommend a compatible access point to add to my powerline extender?

I do not require the second powerline access point to broadcast WiFi, but it would be nice.

Any assistance would greatly be appreciated.

Model: PL1000|PowerLINE 1000 adapter, PLW1000|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 1 of 5

Re: What Access Points can I add to existing PowerLINE PL1000 Adapter?

@JohnW24x7 wrote:

Am I missing where I can purchase another PLW1000 access point? Can someone recommend a compatible access point to add to my powerline extender?

Netgear, like many suppliers of Powerline systems, does not sell single plugs. You have to buy the bundle. However, one or two brands do sell standalone plugs, including AP plugs. (Check the usual places.) Then there is the second-hand market.

Many routers work in AP mode, so an alternative is to use a standard (non AP) plug as the Ethernet link between a router and a wifi extender in AP mode.

Most recent Powerline devices follow the AV standard, which means that you can mix different makes and different generations. The only issue if that if you add "1000" plugs to a network with "500" plugs, or vice versa, they will talk to each other at the speed of the slowest plugs on the network.

Remember, you need only one "source" plug connected to the router.

When adding new plugs to an existing network, you need to follow this advice:

>>> Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network <<<

One other thing to consider, in theory you can mix brands but it isn't always easy to get set them up.

Message 2 of 5
cgfw201
Aspirant

Hav eyou got any idea where to buy a PLW1000 in the UK?

I just spent 25 minutes speaking to Netgear support who kept telling me to buy a PLP1000 and wouldn't listen to me saying that it wasn't a wifi device, which was productive.

I need a PLW1000 extender and they don't seem to be for sale anywhere, or to have been replaced by a newer device?

Message 3 of 5

@cgfw201 wrote:

Hav eyou got any idea where to buy a PLW1000 in the UK?

See above.

I'd be happy to clarify any bit of that answer that isn't clear? 

Message 4 of 5
cgfw201
Aspirant

Yep I read that a week ago, and bought a TPLink AV600 because of this "AV standard thing" which means all brands work together 'seamlessly'.

This is a lie.

That arrived 2 days ago and I spent hours trying to figure it out myself and then 3 hours on the phone to TPLink support and at the end they concluded 'yes it doesn't seem possible to pair our Powerlines equipment with Netgear and we recommend you don't mix and match'.

So no, that doesn't answer my question.

Does Netgear sell a compatible extender for my PLW1000? That's all I need to know. The PLW1000 is no longer available in the UK. I'm happy to buy the full set (although that is ridiculous in itself), I just need to extend powerlines.

Netgear support recommended the PLP1000 earlier which is not a wifi device. 

It seems this product no longer exists, am I right?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7