× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Which Powerline adaptor kit?

Roadrunner01
Aspirant

Which Powerline adaptor kit?

I need some help here to chose the best powerline adaptor kit for my home please. I need to extend my internet coverage from my router in the downstairs living room to an upstairs room to be able to connect a laptop for work (could include wi-fi extension as well) and also want to extend wi-fi coverage to a room on another floor above (converted loft space). So basically, a three unit adaptor kit, however I can't seen to find one, all the netgear kit seem to be just two parts.

I currenty have an old D-Link pair just to extend to the first floor which is adequate in over the wire performance, however is not wi-fi. I have just tried a BT Mini Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 600 Multikit, but I get a weaker performance from it over the wire and the Wi-Fi performance is virtually non existant.

Any ideas welcome.

Message 1 of 4

Re: Which Powerline adaptor kit?

@Roadrunner01 wrote:

I need to extend my internet coverage from my router in the downstairs living room to an upstairs room to be able to connect a laptop for work (could include wi-fi extension as well) and also want to extend wi-fi coverage to a room on another floor above (converted loft space). So basically, a three unit adaptor kit, however I can't seen to find one, all the netgear kit seem to be just two parts.

Yup. Just two plugs is the standard (and unhelpful) purchase option.

Depending on their vintage, you can add Netgear plugs to the  D-Link network.

Most recent Powerline devices follow the AV standard, which means that you can mix different makes and different generations. The only issue if that if you add "1000" plugs to a network with "500" plugs they will talk to each other at the speed of the slowest plugs on the network. You don't say anything about the D-Link plugs.

Remember, you need only one "source" plug connected to the router. But when adding new plugs to an existing network, you need to follow this advice:

>>> Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network <<<

In theory you can mix brands but it isn't always easy to get set them up.

If the gap between the upstairs room and the loft is not too big, then maybe the loft could pick up its wifi from a Powerline access point in the upstairs room.

You could forget about the Powerline AP and put a regular wireless extender on the LAN output in the upstairs room. That might deliver more powerful wifi. The extender will also have LAN ports you can use.

The BT kit, if it is the "BT Mini Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 600 Multi Kit with wired AV600 Powerline and N150 Wi-Fi", looks like the usual rubbish you'd expect from that giant of equipment manufacture. At AV600 it has slow Ethernet. Netgear and others now do up to 1200 Mbps (perhaps even higher). And N150 Wi-Fi is positively 20th century.

Message 2 of 4
Roadrunner01
Aspirant

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your advice. I am thinking of going the whole hog and replacing what I have with a TP-Link Deco M5 (3 unit pack). It gets a very good review on DigitalCitizen.life, and I know £185 to solve the problem seems expensive, but I feel very assured that the problem will be solved without quibble. I wonder what your thoughts are this system? What would be the NetGear equivilant of this?

Message 3 of 4

Sounds like a good move.

Netgear doesn't seem to sell three-packs, so that is what you need, it rules them out.

Oh, and all Powerline stuff seems to use the same chips, so there won't be much difference in the technology.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7