× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wi-Fi to Metal Building with 180 Feet underground Electrical Feed

Gary_
Follower

Wi-Fi to Metal Building with 180 Feet underground Electrical Feed

I am trying to find a Netgear Product that will extend Wi-Fi to my metal building workshop.  My workshop is 180 feet from our house and powered from our main breaker panel.  The power feed is 180 feet of buried plastic conduit  with electrical cable.  I have tried the first generation of Powerline Ethernet Wi-Fi  extender which couldn't get Ethernet past the first circuit breaker it encountered.  Later I purchased a second generation Powerline Ethernet Wi-Fi extender which did a good job of extending Ethernet throughout our house past multiple circuit breakers, but failed to send the signal through the 180 feet of buried electrical cable to my shop.  Will the Netgear RBK50-100NAS Orbi get Wi-Fi to the workshop?  Does Netgear make anything that will work in this extreme condition?   Thanks for your help

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Wi-Fi to Metal Building with 180 Feet underground Electrical Feed

Metal is going to be a big barrier to Wi-Fi, so I really doubt that an Orbi will work here. Running Ethernet is obviously the most reliable option but running it in the same conduit as your electrical cable is not permitted.

You should look into point to point wireless solutions. Netgear doesn't sell anything like that. A couple of Ubiquiti Nanobeams mounted on each building is one option.  They're not terribly expensive.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Re: Wi-Fi to Metal Building with 180 Feet underground Electrical Feed

Metal is going to be a big barrier to Wi-Fi, so I really doubt that an Orbi will work here. Running Ethernet is obviously the most reliable option but running it in the same conduit as your electrical cable is not permitted.

You should look into point to point wireless solutions. Netgear doesn't sell anything like that. A couple of Ubiquiti Nanobeams mounted on each building is one option.  They're not terribly expensive.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7