× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi network extension

Subroc_vox
Aspirant

Wifi network extension

Hi, I've recently had VM installed and I'm very disappointed with the wifi coverage. They've sent me this 'extender' and I've followed the installation guide (I think). What I have now is a wifi network from my router downstairs with poor coverage upstairs. In addition I now have a second network from the PLW1000 upstairs which does give me good speeds. My problem is that I have to connect to each network depending on where I am in the house, e.g. When downstairs in connect to VM******** to get decent speeds but when upstairs I have to disconnect from VM******* and reconnect to NETGEAR_Ext to get the same speeds.
This is an inconvenience to say the least as my main requirement for wifi is for phones/tablets/laptops which are portable. I'm sure I've done something wrong as, to my mind, this is not an extension of my network but rather a second network set up 'piggy-backed' onto the VM one.
Can anyone help me out please?
Model: PLW1000|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 1 of 5
Subroc_vox
Aspirant

Re: Wifi network extension

Anyone?

Message 2 of 5

Maybe no one knows what you are asking.

I don't.

What's VM?

Message 3 of 5
Subroc_vox
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

Maybe no one knows what you are asking.

I don't.

What's VM?

Ah, that would indeed be helpful. I must say though, I'm disappointed in the forums ability to read my mind....................Smiley Very Happy

VM =  Virgin Media and VM************ is the network SSID.

In solution to my problem I would imagine it's a case of chaging the SSID on the 'new' network to match the Virgin Media one, however, I've read elsewhere on the forum that this doesn't appear to solve the problem for other users.  

Message 4 of 5

OK.  You have two separate wifi networks with different SSIDs and passwords.

Many wifi clients can latch on to the best wifi source and connect to that as they move around.

You can get into their controls and give them both the same SSID and password. Depending on the clients, this will work just fine, or you could end up with confused wifi devices that don't know which one to latch on to.

To use the same SSID, you have to get into the controls of one these and copy over the SSID name and password.

A better approach might be to get into the controls of both wifi sources and change the SSIDs and passwords on both of them and to give the the same details, something that is easy to recognise. You need to set up the same "password" for each source if you want your devices to connect to both without any user input.

There is a manual for the PLW1000 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> PLW1000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

see page 11.

You'll have to get the manual for your Virgin modem to work out how to change things there.

....however, I've read elsewhere on the forum that this doesn't appear to solve the problem for other users.  

Most of the stuff you read on the web is garbage. They may be referring tio the problems that I mentioned about confusing the wifi clients. But I wouldn't worry about that until you have tried it and found that it does not work.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7