× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wireless Network Extender

MrBeerBelly
Follower

Wireless Network Extender

Hi,

I have had an Av500 Wireless unit for a number of years - but have never been able to extend the network using the second unit

I've pressed the button on the side of the first unit - then the second and got all the solid lights (two green, one blue)
Then I've pressed the wps button on my sky unit and again pressed the button on the side of the second unit
Again all three lights go solid (two green and one blue)

The netgear unti shows up on my wifi but when I type in the password (the same as my sky router it doesn't recognise it)

Whilst I realise this is an older unit, I feel I wasted my money and have been unable to get support from Netgear:-(

Can someone advise please?

Model: XAV5001|500Mbps Powerline Ethernet Adapter|EOL
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Wireless Network Extender

I think you might be misunderstanding the WPS button.

Your av500 would be a powerline networking system (XWNB5602, XWNB5602 or XWNB5221, or perhaps an older model) correct?

This connects to the router over ethernet, not wifi.  You connect one module to a router LAN port.  Then you need to manually set the AV500 wifi modules to use the correct network name and passphrase.  You can't use WPS for this, as the WiFi modules are not connecting to the router's wifi.

If you let us know exactly which av500 system you are using, then we can link you to the correct user manual.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7