× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wireless printer not working over Netgear WiFi extender

Milo19
Aspirant

Wireless printer not working over Netgear WiFi extender

Hi,

I have a Netgear Wifi Extender (PLW1000) located upstairs broadcasting on the same SSID as my wireless router (Virgin Home Hub) located downstairs. The upstairs WiFi extender is connected via PowerLine to another downstairs, which is connected via Ethernet, to the router. This gives me a seamless wifi network throughout my house, and it generally works well.

However, sometimes my computer (OS X 10.4 Mojave) can't see my wireless printer (Hp Envy 4527). I find that if I switch the Netgear WiFi extender off, this fixes the problem. Is it possible that although the SSID is the same and I'm connecting via a single router, that the printer and my computer are connecting via different WiFi devices (the Home Hub and the WiFi Extender). And this is causing their inability to communicate?

I would expect to be able to create a seamless WiFi network using the Netgear WiFi extender, which allows the wireless printer to work. Is there a way to do this? Should I change my Netgear or router settings?

Model: PLW1000|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 1 of 3
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Wireless printer not working over Netgear WiFi extender

Hi @Milo19

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

As long as the devices are on the same IP range then it should work. Is the printer connected to router or powerline adapter? If issue re-occur, can you still ping the IP address of the printer? 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 2 of 3
Milo19
Aspirant

Re: Wireless printer not working over Netgear WiFi extender

Thank you. I don't know which one the printer is connecting to, as it is connecting wirelessly and they both have the same SSID. Is there a way to tell?

When the issue occurs, I am unable to ping the printer's IP address from my computer.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7