× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XAU2511 USB Control Center problem

MarcelBr
Follower

XAU2511 USB Control Center problem

I bought a Netgear XAU2511 USB Powerline. My Powerline Utility software detects both adapters and can configurate them. My USB Control Center does not detect the XAU2511 (the USB plug) nor the USB printer attached to it. In the heading of my programme is Always written "USB Control Center" whereas in the manual is shown "Media Extender". When I download the Media Extender software, or the ReadyShare Printer software, it shows to be the same programmes. The software does not work, it seems to be a software error, very frustrating. Both adapters are plugged into a single plug-in. Does anyone recognise this problem?
Message 1 of 5
tehuti1
Aspirant

I have the same problem! Aargh, very frustrating...
Message 2 of 5
NoXoZ
Aspirant

MarcelBr wrote:
I bought a Netgear XAU2511 USB Powerline. My Powerline Utility software detects both adapters and can configurate them. My USB Control Center does not detect the XAU2511 (the USB plug) nor the USB printer attached to it. In the heading of my programme is Always written "USB Control Center" whereas in the manual is shown "Media Extender". When I download the Media Extender software, or the ReadyShare Printer software, it shows to be the same programmes. The software does not work, it seems to be a software error, very frustrating. Both adapters are plugged into a single plug-in. Does anyone recognise this problem?

Make sure that you uninstall the previous Media Extender software installed on your computer before installing the downloaded one. From the NETGEAR support site, you can find the USB Media Extender version 1.34 then there is also the Powerline Universal Utility version 3.1.0.4. Latest firmware version is 0.2.1.7.
Message 3 of 5
Toggle
Initiate

I have the same problem despite receiving a replacement item followed by a wrong replacement item for the UK: NETGEAR sent a non UK standard XAU2511. The NETGEAR Customer Support experts don't understand or don't wish to acknowledge the issue. Still haven't got NETGEAR to resolve the problem which I suspect is a software one as I have downloaded and installed all the latest versions: I uninstalled all those on the supplied CD first. Wouldn't recommend NETGEAR products based on this experience. Should have learnt from the fact I have a used NETGEAR router in my desk drawer!
Message 4 of 5
sam_spereira
Initiate

Hello Fellas,

I have exactly the same problem with a just out of box XAU2511. I think it is a software problem known but ignored by NetGear. The same thing happens: power line utility software does recognize both MODEMs (XAU2511 and XAV1601), but the USB Control Center does not recognize anything (not even shows the MODEM).

I removed and installed the software (tried USB Media Extender and USB Control Center), getting always the latest versions.

I asked support through online chat but it was very frustrating. The person did not know the product and I had a hard time. The conversation lasted one and half hour, only with basic questions. I did not help me at all. In the end, they asked me to return the product.

It is very frustrating, but on the internet I realized others are facing the same problem (not only in this forum).

I think Netgear knows this problem but they are ignoring.

The main problem is that I am in Brazil. For returning it I will have to spend a lot of money.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND NETGEAR PRODUCTS.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7