× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XAV1601v2 with Netgear Powerline Utility 3.1.0.4

Pangear
Aspirant

XAV1601v2 with Netgear Powerline Utility 3.1.0.4

There was  discussed in past a lot about Netgear's Powerline Utility 3.1.0.4, the utility does not allow to detect powerline adapters and  was recommended to use instead either Netgear Genie or ZyXel utilities.

Has been there any response from Netgear's support engineering the actual reasoning for this utility to fail ?

I do not think that Netgear's Genie 2.2.27.1 allows to twick QoS parameter in powerline adapter configuration. 

Model: XAV1601v2|Powerline 200 Nano Passthru
Message 1 of 11

@Pangear wrote:

Has been there any response from Netgear's support engineering the actual reasoning for this utility to fail ?

No.

@Pangear wrote:

I do not think that Netgear's Genie 2.2.27.1 allows to twick QoS parameter in powerline adapter configuration. 

Probably because there is nothing to tweak. Powerline is just a "cable". It does no signal processing and therefore you cannot use it to control QoS.

By the way, you have posted your message in the section of this community given over to the Nighthawk App. (This is easily done, given Netgear's impenetrable community structure.)

If you need more help, you might get better and quicker replies, and find other answers, over in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

Powerline Networking - NETGEAR Communities

Message 2 of 11
Pangear
Aspirant

I guess, you are familiar with "XAV1601 Powerline AV+200-nano User Manual". Please read the chapter 2 about available tweaking parameters on this device using Netgear Powerline Utility before responding.

Thanks

Message 3 of 11

That is a seriously old (2011) AV200 plug. I am surprised that there are any still in use.

Netgear has not produced a Powerline utility for any recent plugs. Nor do newer plugs support QoS.

If you want to use that AV200 plug, then either get the original utility or see if the ZyXel alternative works. That supports features that Netgear's "newest" utility does not handle. For example, it can disable Standby mode. It also suppports something called "Priority".

Message 4 of 11
Pangear
Aspirant

Who cares that it is an old device - it works ! You sound like a dealer who pushes for new models. On Netgear's support site there are two Windows Powerline Utilities version 3.1.0.4  and older 2.0.0.14, they do not discover powerline devices.

I am not familiar with XyZel utility. Would you suggest its version and whether it works with Netgear's devices. 

Message 5 of 11

@Pangear wrote:

Who cares that it is an old device - it works !

Yes, but the speeds are dire. I have 2.4 GHz wifi hardware that does 300 Mbps, but I won't be using it any time soon.

The AV200 network connection, max 80 Mbps, works out at around half that of even the slowest Internet speeds these days, let alone local networks. The LAN ports are also 100 Mbps, slower than most hardware made on the past decade.New plugs have Gbps Ethernet.

With more and more people turning up here with Gb Internet, I can't see many takers for 40 Mbps local speeds. (That's what one Powerline users reported getting with old plugs last week.)

I don't go for newest and fastest except when it matters. No point with DSL Internet. I happily stream TV over AV 500 plugs – that's all the task needs – but for a network feeding an array of local kit it makes sense to go for Gbps LAN. The choice is yours.

@Pangear wrote:

On Netgear's support site there are two Windows Powerline Utilities version 3.1.0.4  and older 2.0.0.14, they do not discover powerline devices.

The 3.1.0.4 version happily detects powerline devices here.

Netgear Powerline UtilityNetgear Powerline Utility

As you can see, it has a hard time recognising models, probably because they are too "new" for this ancient utility. (I have PL1000 on this network.) But it works with the limited features that Netgear provides. Essentially security.

Maybe you have some other problem that stops it from working.

@Pangear wrote:

I am not familiar with XyZel utility. Would you suggest its version and whether it works with Netgear's devices. 

It does for me. That's why ZyXel gets mentioned here whenever anyone asks for an alternative to Netgear' obsolete junk. (I would not have mentioned it otherwise.) But I am not using something out of the ark.

ZyXEL_Powerline_Utility.jpg

Note that its is ZyXel not XyZel. Could be important if you decide to search for it.

Message 6 of 11
Pangear
Aspirant

Does Powerline Utility 3.1.0.4 work ? I doubt, probably it was indended for early versions of Windows, like XP.

I think similiar utilities use Winpcap utility dealing with Ethernet packets. The old Winpcap 4.1.3 was upgraded to Win10Pcap based on

WinCAP organization. Does Netgear include those upgrades in their products, I have no idea.

Also, I noted that on one PC cannot be installed both NetgearGenie and Netgear Powerline Utility since they use common files

like packet.dll and winpacket.dll.

My observations are Netgear Genie can find on network my powerline devices but Powerline Utility cannot while I use Windows 10 OS

Regards to all

Message 7 of 11

@Pangear wrote:

Does Powerline Utility 3.1.0.4 work ?

It does here. See above.

64-bit Windows 10, several PCs.

Maybe you don't believe my screenshots and detailed description.

@Pangear wrote:

My observations are Netgear Genie can find on network my powerline devices but Powerline Utility cannot while I use Windows 10 OS

That is not my experience, or my observations (see above). Then again, not sure that if follow "find on network my powerline devices".

Message 8 of 11
Pangear
Aspirant

Michael,

I do not know what is unique in your connection vs. mine. My PC with WIN 10 32-bit OS is connected to XAV1601 and Netgear Router R6250  is connected in turn  remotely to other XAV1601, the router is connected to Cable Modem. So, I  have a reliable connection to Internet web with average speed +

@michaelkenward wrote:

@Pangear wrote:

Does Powerline Utility 3.1.0.4 work ?

It does here. See above.

64-bit Windows 10, several PCs.

Maybe you don't believe my screenshots and detailed description.

@Pangear wrote:

That is not my experience, or my observations (see above). Then again, not sure that if follow "find on network my powerline devices".

50 Mbps.

However, Powerline Utilty when it is brought up cannot see any powerline devices ( I have four ). NetgearGenie works without problems.

Regards, 

Message 9 of 11

@Pangear wrote:

I do not know what is unique in your connection vs. mine.

I have no idea what you are doing and why it might go wrong. I simply wanted to respond to the earlier comment:

Does Powerline Utility 3.1.0.4 work ? I doubt, probably it was indended for early versions of Windows, like XP.

That implies that the Powerline Utility 3.1.0.4 will not work in Windows 10. As I have said, this is just plain wrong.

I would not want anyone who turns up here to think that Powerline Utility 3.1.0.4 will not work in Windows 10. It is not ,my experience. Had you said it did not work with the XAV1601 that would be a very different matter.

The XAV1601 is an ancient and slow device. There are older versions of the Netgear Powerline Utility that may work with those museum pieces.

Message 10 of 11
Pangear
Aspirant

Michael,

My reply on the last part of your recent mail.

I might consider seriously what you had said if Netgear would comment that Powerline Utility D 3.1.0.4 does not support certain old

PLAs but they did not in any of their documents supporting this utility.  

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7