× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XAV5001

Smart121
Follower

XAV5001

My Powerline AV500 is not providing internet to the device (home security DVR) that I have it connected to. I did a software update and still nothing. The middle LED light (looks like a house with a power cord) is not lit up. I am not tech savy, apparently, so any advice would appreciated. 

-I have an ethernet cable going from AV500 to security DVR

-It worked before I got a new internet provider

-Help please 🙂

Model: XAV5001|500Mbps Powerline Ethernet Adapter|EOL
Message 1 of 3
antinode
Guru

Re: XAV5001

> [...] I did a software update [...]

On what?

> [...] I am not tech savy, apparently, so any advice would appreciated.

Here's a radical concept which works for some people:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTFM

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual (at least).  Read.  Look at the
pictures.

> -I have an ethernet cable going from AV500 to security DVR

To what is your _other_ Powerline adapter connected?

> -It worked before I got a new internet provider

And what, exactly, happened when you made that poorly described
change?  Different equipment of some kind?  And you failed to reconnect
all your old stuff to your new stuff?

Message 2 of 3

Re: XAV5001

XAV5001
@Smart121 wrote:

My Powerline AV500 is not providing internet to the device (home security DVR) that I have it connected to. I did a software update and still nothing.

The XAV5001 is effectively just a wire that runs from the plug back to your router. It does not "provide the internet" in any real sense. That is down to your router. So look at the stuff at each end of the wire for a solution.

Will this unnamed home security DVR work if you take the powerline network out of the equation?

@Smart121 wrote:

The middle LED light (looks like a house with a power cord) is not lit up.

This is the Powerline LED. It indicates that there is no connection between your "remote" plug and the plug attached to your router. Does the light come back on if you out the remote plug alongside the plug connected to the router?

@Smart121 wrote:

-It worked before I got a new internet provider

This suggests that the "not providing internet" thing may have to do with how your router is set up for the new Internet service provider.

My first move would be to check that the two plugs are still working as expected, by putting them near to each other on the same mains circuit.

When they are talking to each other over the mains, check that they can still connect over the Ethernet connection. Try plugging something else into the remote plug. A laptop would be a good test.

When you know that all is well in that location, take the remote plug back to where you want to use it. Confirm that both the Powerline LED and Ethernet LED look right. (The Ethernet LED wonlt come on until you plug something into the LAN port.)

Once you have got the local Ethernet working you can turn your attention to the security DVR. You may have to change the settings to fit in with your new ISP. That can mean resetting the DVR and setting it up from scratch in the way that you did when you first installed it.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7