× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XAV5004 Replacement Cord

bwake1959
Aspirant

XAV5004 Replacement Cord

I have a XAV5004 that I need to plug in behind a cabinet. The cabinet is set very close to the wall. The plug sticks out too far to fit properly.

Can I replace the plug with one that is flatter? What to I do to ensure that I still get good speed?
Message 1 of 4
dickie
Novice

Re: XAV5004 Replacement Cord

I had the same problem - in my case I had to use a very short, flat extension cord.

The general rule is that powerline adpaters must be installed directly into the socket - but depending on how good your wiring, the quality of the extension and the noise on your circuit, you *can* get away with it (I could in 1 room of my house, but not another).

I use Ziotek ZT1212590 Flat 18-Inch Power Strip Liberator which is a short, flat extension without problems - but your mileage may vary. Install and use the Powerline utility before with and without the extension cord to see what impact it has on the speed.

Then you can decide if any small reduction in throughput is worth the convenience (or just move it somewhere else 🙂
Message 2 of 4
dickie
Novice

P.s. I forgot to add....

-The shorter the extension cable the better.

-You can also use a number of good quality power bar / multi-plug extensions that come with a flat plug, BUT MAKE SURE THEY ARE LABELLED AS PLC COMPATIBLE (like this one at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Monster-GreenPower-Digital-PowerCenter-MDP/dp/B001LK6ZE8)
Message 3 of 4
bwake1959
Aspirant

I wound up cutting off the plug and replacing it with a flat plug from Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-Dimmers-Switches-Outlets-Plugs-Connectors/h_d1/N-5yc1vZc336/R-10...

I stripped and tinned the ends, wrapped them clockwise around the posts, and then made sure to tighten the screws securely.

I tested it on the same circuit as the other adapter. I got a full speed connection. The connection where I plan to use it isn't as fast, but that's the fault of the house wiring, not the plug.

There isn't anything special about the stock cord. It's a standard part, even if Netgear won't tell you which standard.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7