× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XAV5201 + XWN5001 Speed

SriniK
Aspirant

XAV5201 + XWN5001 Speed

My connection is as below:

LAN port2 of WNDR4700 (speed here is about 200mbps) > XAV5201 --- powerline ---- XWN5001.

Both powerline adapters are in the same room on the same electrical circuit.  Connected laptop wired on xwn5001.  The o/p speed is hardly 50mbps.  Even when xwn5001 is plugged in a distant room, the speed is the same.

firmware version on all WNDR4700, XAV5201, XWN5001 are all latest.

why is the speed this low?

Model: XAV5201|Powerline 500 Nano, XWN5001|Powerline 500 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 6

Re: XAV5201 + XWN5001 Speed

I'm not sure that I understand what you are asking about here. Something to do with the Ethernet speed of your laptop?

Regardless of their alleged plug-to-plug seeds, LAN ports on the XWN5001 plugs are limited to 100 Mbps. Any talk of 200 Mbps anywhere else in the network is, therefore, irrelevant.

Even 100 Mbps is one of those theoretical measurements that has to cope with local circumstances and two-way traffic.

Newer powerline plugs have 1000 Mbps on their LAN ports.

The WNDR4700 dates back to 2012, so it too will not have the latest technology.

Message 2 of 6
SriniK
Aspirant

Thanks @michaelkenward.

You mentioned: "Regardless of their alleged plug-to-plug seeds, LAN ports on the XWN5001 plugs are limited to 100 Mbps. Any talk of 200 Mbps anywhere else in the network is, therefore, irrelevant.  Even 100 Mbps is one of those theoretical measurements that has to cope with local circumstances and two-way traffic."

Below is what User Manual  on Netgear product page says:

on page 7/48:

Powerline LED

• Solid. The device is connected to a Powerline network.
• Off. The device has not found any other compatible Powerline devices using the same
encryption key or has been turned off through the NETGEAR genie.
The Pick A Plug feature lets you pick the electrical outlet with the fastest link rate, indicated by
the color displayed by the LED:
Green. Link rate > 80 Mbps (Best) Good for HD video

Amber. Link rate > 50 < 80 Mbps (Better) Good for SD video

Red. Link rate < 50 Mbps (Good) Good for data

on page 41/48 : Technical specifications:

Data transfer rate Up to 200 Mbps with real throughput greater than 80 Mbps

The light on my device is always Solid green and I never get more than 60mbps.  From the above I should atleast get 80mbps.

------------------------

You mentioned:

Newer powerline plugs have 1000 Mbps on their LAN ports.

Today I bought a "NETGEAR PowerLine AV2 1200Mbps Adapter Kit with Filtered Power Socket Pass-Through" and all I could see was a increase of speed upto 80mbps.

---------------------

The WNDR4700 dates back to 2012, so it too will not have the latest technology.

The powerline adapters are after this WNDR4700, so the age of the router or its technology should not matter for powerline adapters' performance.

Message 3 of 6

Do not confuse "link rate" with "Data transfer rate".

Link Rate and Transfer Speed | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 4 of 6
SriniK
Aspirant

Thanks @michaelkenward for the link.  But I am looking for the information on wired connection and not wireless connection.  So when connected as below, all wired, both powerline plugs on the same electrical circuit in the same room, what is the expected speed at the o/p?

Coax Cable > Hitorn CDA3-20 modem (provided by ISP Vmedia) (available o/p speed 300-300Mbps) > WNDR4700 (available o/p speed max 250Mbps) > XAV5201 > XWN5001.  What is the assured min-max speeds that i should be able to get.  All speeds measured using speedtest.net.  As of now 200-240 Mbps is going into XAV5201 and XWN5001 o/p is 50-60Mbps.

Message 5 of 6

@SriniK wrote:

Thanks @michaelkenward for the link.  But 1980 am looking for the information on wired connection and not wireless connection.  

The concept of link rate versus data transfer rate also applies to wired connections.

That article was just a simple way of pointing out that there is a difference between the two.

Your car may have a top speed of 150 mph, but the average speed in the real world will never  be that fast.

As the documentation puts it:

"Actual data throughput and data over distance will vary. Network conditions and environmental factors, including volume of network traffic, building material and construction, and network overhead, result in lower actual data throughput rate."

Wired or wireless, all have a "network overhead". The speeds that one person gets on a powerline network will not be the same as everyone else. This is particularly true of something that relies on mains wiring that was never intended for the purpose and the presence of many devices that may affect the traffic.

Note that the 300Mbps numbers quoted for the XWNB5201 you own relate to the wifi bit.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7