× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XAV5201 powerline adaptor and AC1200 wifi range extender - password prompt

Stef_Z
Aspirant

XAV5201 powerline adaptor and AC1200 wifi range extender - password prompt

Hello,

We have been using the XAV5201 powerline adaptor for some time with no issues but since the adition of the AC1200 wifi range extender the XAV5201 keeps asking for its password and when entered it does not connect - just a spinning wheel and then reprompt for password.

When setting up the AC1200 I used the NETGEAR Instillation Assistant and set passwords for the AC1200 (_2GEXT & _5GEXT) and can only think that during this setup somehow the XAV5201 was effected. This is strange though as the device was not listed during the setup and I certainly didn't adjust the password for the XAV5201.

The only way the user can currently connect to the internet using the XAV5201 is via an ethernet cable directly connected to the XAV5201 ethernet port - no passowrd prompt occurs. This is not ideal however as they have limited inputs/outputs on the computer (mac book pro 2018) and would prefer to use the wifi connection.

Any suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stef_Z

Model: XAV5201|Powerline 500 Nano
Message 1 of 5
Stef_Z
Aspirant

...could it be the Mac Book Pro's Network Preferences need adjusting?

Its strange that this has only started since the adition of the AC1200.

Stef_Z

Message 2 of 5

@Stef_Z wrote:

Hello,

We have been using the XAV5201 powerline adaptor for some time with no issues but since the adition of the AC1200 wifi range extender the XAV5201 keeps asking for its password

Which password are we talking about here? The plug or the extender?

The XAV5201 is a dumb device, not much more than a bit of wire that does not need a password for any connection.

Message 3 of 5
Stef_Z
Aspirant

Hi @michaelkenward and thanks for your reply.

The AV500 (XAV5201) is prompting (randomly it seems) for a password on a iMac (2018). The odd thing is that other devices (iPhones, iMac's, Amazon Prime Box) can connect to the AV500 without the same issue.

The correct password is entered on the iMac (2018) to connect to the AV500 but never accepted - this is a new occurrence since the introduction of the AC1200 (EX6130). My feeling is that possibly by setting up the AC1200 using the NETGEAR Instillation Assistant which looks for 'NETGEAR_EXT' - which is the name of the AV500 ( * and was the name of the AC1200 when first installed) somehow the device was altered?

Unfortunately we have been unable to update the AV500's password using the Netgear website as the login details for the AV500's original setup some years ago aren't available.

* Just as a further note I have named the AC1200 with the router name and added extension after for identification '_5GEXT' and '_2GEXT' to differentiate from the main router name.

I appreciate any further advice/hints you may have.

Kind regards,
Stef_Z

Message 4 of 5

@Stef_Z wrote:

The AV500 (XAV5201) is prompting (randomly it seems) for a password on a iMac (2018). The odd thing is that other devices (iPhones, iMac's, Amazon Prime Box) can connect to the AV500 without the same issue.

Logic tells me that the problem is with the iMac. It is hard to see how the XAV5201 will discriminate against one device and leave others untouched.

The XAV5201 is a "dumb" device. It simply has no way of telling two different iMacs apart.

This is also why the XAV5201 was not listed during the setup. It will not show up on most network maps because it does not have an IP address that can appear on the map.

The only way to get a Powerline plug to show up is with software designed for that, or with Netgear's desktop genie for your operating system.

In many years of using Powerline ethernet, with the exception of plugs that also deliver wifi, such as the XWN5001, I have never found anything that requires me to use a password.

@Stef_Z wrote:

The correct password is entered on the iMac (2018) to connect to the AV500 but never accepted

There is no "password" for the XAV5201 to intercept and reject or accept.

Only the EX6130 has the intelligence needed to differentiate between machines. As the problem started when you added that, it seems reasonable to look there for solutions.

It isn't clear to me how the EX6130 is a part of the network and what mode it is in.

Is the XAV5201 there to supply Internet to the EX6130 in wireless access point (AP) mode? Or is it using wifi to talk to the main router?

Unless the EX6130 is in AP mode, I would expect the XAV5201 and the EX6130 to be completely independent of each other.

You said earlier:

The only way the user can currently connect to the internet using the XAV5201 is via an ethernet cable directly connected to the XAV5201 ethernet port

That is the only way you can use the XAV5201 plug to connect. If you are talking about the XWN5001, that's a different device. But we still need to know who it fits in with the EX6130.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7